Including Junctions Features in a Utility Network Trace

Jump to solution
10-20-2020 07:50 AM
DavidNuhn
New Contributor II

I was wondering if anyone has any input on including "Structure Junctions" specifically manholes with a Utility Network Connected trace (ELECTRIC). 

What I am trying to achieve is including the Manhole "Structure Junction" feature in a trace, however, there are multiple stacked lines passing through the manhole feature. Here is the process I've thought of and the issue at hand:

- Having the manhole point placed on the line(s), I would enter the Z value of the manhole (Z value captured in the field via RTK GPS). Since the cables are underground, their Z values would be different from the manholes and therefore the manhole feature would not be included in the trace. 

The solution I've thought of would be adding electric junctions to each of the lines and containing them within the manhole to have the association include the manhole in the trace. The issue with this is that technically there is no electric junction within these manholes (in most of my cases) as the underground electric line is just passing through the manhole.   

Just looking for a little insight if anyone has modeled multiple stacked underground electric lines and has some tips. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

I would suggest using a connection point Asset Group/Asset Type in the ElectricJunctions layer. This would be midspan on the wire and have a containment association in the manhole.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

I would suggest using a connection point Asset Group/Asset Type in the ElectricJunctions layer. This would be midspan on the wire and have a containment association in the manhole.

0 Kudos