Select to view content in your preferred language

Electric UN Asset Type for Underground Open Point?

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
BryanMay531
Regular Contributor

Hi,  In the Electric Utility Net Model, Electric Junction 9 Med Voltage Line End 173 Open Point MV works well for Overhead Open points.  Is there a similar feature for Underground open points?  If I add rules for Underground lines to match these would that allow the 9 - 173 to function for Underground too?

BryanMay531_0-1727096659482.png

How have others handled UG open points?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

Most pad-mounted and underground transformers have elbows on them, it's just that they haven't historically been modeled in the GIS. It would look something like this:

RobertKrisher_0-1727098719035.png

Most of the models released by Esri have contained both underground fuses as well as elbows, so you might as well capture these locations as elbows to start with.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

In the overhead system, an open point is usually an air gap between two conductors, typically at a dead end. In the underground system, an open point is usually one or more elbows in a cabinet (transformer, switchgear, etc) that are disconnected. In those cases, you should model it as an elbow, underground fuse, or the actual piece of equipment that is open/disconnected.

0 Kudos
BryanMay531
Regular Contributor

Thank You!  I have elbows I can Leave open at switchgear and tap station cabinets.  How do I have an open elbow at a transformer though? Not sure how to handle those?

In the interest of time, is there a fuse I can use for UG open points and convert to elbows later?

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

Most pad-mounted and underground transformers have elbows on them, it's just that they haven't historically been modeled in the GIS. It would look something like this:

RobertKrisher_0-1727098719035.png

Most of the models released by Esri have contained both underground fuses as well as elbows, so you might as well capture these locations as elbows to start with.

0 Kudos
BryanMay531
Regular Contributor

Oh Cool  didnt know I could just have an elbow like this.

BryanMay531_0-1727099279956.png

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

For customers who haven't historically modeled their elbows, that's usually the first step. If you have a structure or assembly, make sure it shares the same container as the transformer. Ideally, when migrating your data to the utility network, you would create all your elbows, so you have nice, consistent pad-mounted transformers/elbows/busbar/pads and all the corresponding associations.

0 Kudos