Deploy Water & Sewer Network Foundations together

09-28-2022 08:44 AM
ChrisMartinez
New Contributor III

I'm trying to start migrating our existing water and sewer features into utility networks.  I was considering using the ArcGIS Solutions deployment for their respective utilities but I need clarification before proceeding.  It appears that each of the solutions creates it's own geodatabase for it's utility system, which results in some duplication.  

My question then is if this is simply a condition that I should accept if I want to use the foundation solutions?  Is there any inherent disadvantage in shoehorning them both into the same geodatabase?  Ultimately, once I get the model tuned, I would want to migrate this to our Enterprise deployment, to allow multiuser editing and data reviewing. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JohnBendix
New Contributor III

Hi Chris,

Yes there is a solution for both Utilities. That being said even with you migrating to the UN you could do what your talking about even at the filegeodb level. You would just have to use feature datasets for each utility. Kind of how the geometric network is configure for Water, Sanitary and Storm. But you will need to be careful about making sure when you create you utility network that your naming convention is unique to each utility. One cavate with all your data being in one database also is if anything happens to your database all of utilities are effected..food for thought.

Good Luck.

MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

You can also use Apply Asset Package and apply both domains to the same Utility Network.

ChrisMartinez
New Contributor III

Thank you both for the info.  @MikeMillerGIS that actually leads me to my next question that I have about prepping to implement my existing data into the utility network.  My existing data, while not leveraging geometric networks, roughly adheres to the Water Utilities Information Model. I'm hoping that will make moving the data over pretty easy.  I've explored the tasks that come with both utilities foundation solutions, and even though I've read everything I can find about the Create Asset Package Configuration Table geo tool and the D_Configurations table, I'm just not getting what it is I'm supposed to be putting in the Configuration Fields. These are for my new database, so is this where I would specify the fields and aliases for my two different utilities?

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

You do not need to use the D_Configuration table, that is only to apply a subset of the model.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi @MikeMillerGIS  - we are deploying both the Water and Sanitary UNs.  Maybe this is obvious, but it appears that for the enterprise, we will need to deploy each UN in their own separate SQL user databases as the structure network features are named the same and that is not allowed.   Is that in fact the case. . . ?

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

The Asset Package Tools will merge the structure networks when you apply the asset packages to the same utility network.  You call also deploy them to two different utility networks.  The second utility network's structure layers will get a _1 suffix.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Ok thanks  Won't network structure layers acquiring an _1 suffix break attribute rules?

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

Yes, you will need to adjust the attribute rules.  The apply asset package logic currently does not handle this.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Ok thanks @MikeMillerGIS , that's what we thought. We have the sql resources though, so for us it makes more sense to deploy in their own instances - as we've spent so much time prepping the separate asset packages.

0 Kudos