Select to view content in your preferred language

Data loading workspace ,how could I know the correct target of my sources ?

Jump to solution
06-28-2023 08:38 AM
spiderman90
Occasional Contributor

Hello , 

i am working on creating electric model of utility network .

i am using create data loading workspace ,I I would like to understand .

how  could I know ,what are the targets of feature classes sources ?is there a method ?

i am using asset package from electric utility foundation .

what is the benefit of using pre defined mapping ?i did not understand it well .

after I created my data reference workbook and generate pre defined mapping by tool .

should I run again the same source with targets but adding predefined mapping ?will it make any differences later in output ?

when should I use pre defined mapping after created ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

The tool will attempt to match source to target by name similarity, but you can specify source to target classes yourself.  If you map items yourself, you have to know how to map the source to the target, such as know a wSystemValve is mapped to Device:Subtype Valve.  

The predefined mapping helps you match items with names too different for the system to match or remove a match.  For instance FireHydrant will match to HydrantAssembly.  You might not want that, so you can fill this out in the predefined mapping and set it to not match.  

Once you created a data loading worksheet that you like, you can turn that into a predefined mapping table.  This is useful if you are migrating different source databases, with the same schema to a known target schema.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MikeMillerGIS

The tool will attempt to match source to target by name similarity, but you can specify source to target classes yourself.  If you map items yourself, you have to know how to map the source to the target, such as know a wSystemValve is mapped to Device:Subtype Valve.  

The predefined mapping helps you match items with names too different for the system to match or remove a match.  For instance FireHydrant will match to HydrantAssembly.  You might not want that, so you can fill this out in the predefined mapping and set it to not match.  

Once you created a data loading worksheet that you like, you can turn that into a predefined mapping table.  This is useful if you are migrating different source databases, with the same schema to a known target schema.  

0 Kudos
spiderman90
Occasional Contributor

Will be possible that one source will map to different targets ? 
i mean , one feature class May be map to device and ……. other 

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Yes it can, we have seen where people will map a transformer to both a device and assembly. Make sure you reset the Global ID of one of them
0 Kudos