Select to view content in your preferred language

Containment association disappears from feature template after publishing

09-01-2023 09:58 AM
NSimmons44
Emerging Contributor

I am working with an electric utility network, which has topology enabled. I have created a feature template for Electric Line, which includes containment of Electric Edge Objects. The feature template was created through a direct database connection, before publishing (example below):

Nathaniel_Simmons_0-1693587344378.png

The feature template appears in the feature service after publishing. However, the "Containment" has disappeared from the feature template. When creating a new electric line feature from this template, no edge objects are created either (see below).

Nathaniel_Simmons_1-1693587356420.png

I searched through the known bugs for both enterprise and ArcGIS Pro, but have not found this mentioned anywhere yet. Am I missing a setting somewhere when publishing, or is this a legitimate bug?

I am running ArcGIS Pro 2.9.10 along with Enterprise 10.9.1.

5 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

Group and Present templates are not supported in the WebMap/Feature Service.  You need to create them in ArcGIS Pro map that consumes the feature service.

0 Kudos
NSimmons44
Emerging Contributor

Thanks Mike. I am experiencing the same behavior when attempting to create a new feature template from the feature service in ArcGIS Pro - there is not containment option. It is important to have the feature template (with containment) be applied to the feature service within the map for editors to use.

Are the following steps the workflow that you are suggesting?

1. Publish UN feature service
  2. Load the UN feature service into an ArcGIS Pro map
  3. Create a new template for the feature service (electric line with electric edge object container content)

If this is not what you had in mind, please let me know. If it is, are you able to replicate this behavior on your side?

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

Set up sounds correct.  You now need to select the rows and create a present templates.  You cannot define the containment in a template

- Create the items you wish the make a template out of, such as a xfer and the 3 junctions objects.  Make sure to have the xfr contain the junction objects

- Select the spatial feature and the non spatial rows

- In the manage template dialog, under xfer, add a new preset template

That will create you a template with the containment and all the selected rows

0 Kudos
NSimmons44
Emerging Contributor

I gave this a try and it worked for creating the content along with the feature/container. However, I am really hoping to have this function when drawing a new line feature (electric line), instead of placing a pre-set line (via point placement). It seems that preset template only utilizes point placement for features, regardless feature type. The only way workaround I have found would be to place a preset template (line with content), and then have the editors reshape/redraw the line - which is not ideal

Do you have any suggestions or ideas for improving that workflow?

I appreciate your help!

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

I think we need to log an enhancement to support that.  We have used Attribute Rules in comms to create contained strands in cables.  You could steal that logic.

0 Kudos