Select to view content in your preferred language

Can I host water and sewer utility datasets in the same file geodatabase?

Jump to solution
07-02-2024 05:54 AM
Angiex__1
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to apply asset package to the water and the sewer utility network, first i applied to the water utility network and it worked fine, but when it goes to the sewer utility network i am getting error saying that service territory conflict occurs, so my basic question 1) is it possible to have two different domains in the same  file geodatabase without any conflicts in the applying asset package 2)can i have the water and sewer utility network in the same file geodatabase?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoaquinMadrid1
New Contributor III

Exactly what John is saying... if you want to combine Domains, their Service Territory mut be the same.

Let us think about it... The Service Territory, or whatever you want to call this polygon, is simply an artifact with two simple jobs:

1. Use its Spatial Reference to create the target Dataset
  2. Use its extent (actually a buffered envelope) to define extend of UN validation.

Let me explain... once you create an E-GDB to host your UN, I do recommend, like most folks, that you use the Esri Foundations to get going. Therefore, you use Esri Solutions' Utility Network Package Tools to:

1. Stage UN
  2. Apply Asset Package

And that is all good, but... If you want to understand what is involved in a UN implementation, I encourage you do everything from scratch... just as an exercise.

Once the E-GDB is created, and using Data Management Tools, execute

1. Create Feature Dataset <- providing a Spatial Reference
  2. Add New Feature Class - polygon (call it, for instance, Service Territory) with GLOBALID and M-value
  3. Create one polygon feature by editing its geometry (which derives from the Spatial Reference used to create the Dataset)

It is at this point that you, from the Utility Network Tools, you would run

1. Create Utility Network - providing as input the just created Dataset and the polygon feature class

As a result, a UN is created containing all the UN internals plus its single Structure Network (SJ, SE, SJO, SJO).

At this point you run

• Add Domain Network - for each domain in your UN (in your case Water and Sewer)

Since the input parameter is THE UN just created, your domains inherit the UN's Spatial Reference as well as the validation extent defined by the polygon.

And that is why, if you were to apply different APs to the same target E-GDB UN... the APs must have the exact same polygon under the exact same Spatial Reference.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

You should be able to use the Water and the Sewer domain networks in the same utility network.  You should use the same service area feature in both asset packages, that should eliminate the error you are seeing.  If you get additional errors, please include the detailed error message.  This will help understand what the problem is.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
JoaquinMadrid1
New Contributor III

Exactly what John is saying... if you want to combine Domains, their Service Territory mut be the same.

Let us think about it... The Service Territory, or whatever you want to call this polygon, is simply an artifact with two simple jobs:

1. Use its Spatial Reference to create the target Dataset
  2. Use its extent (actually a buffered envelope) to define extend of UN validation.

Let me explain... once you create an E-GDB to host your UN, I do recommend, like most folks, that you use the Esri Foundations to get going. Therefore, you use Esri Solutions' Utility Network Package Tools to:

1. Stage UN
  2. Apply Asset Package

And that is all good, but... If you want to understand what is involved in a UN implementation, I encourage you do everything from scratch... just as an exercise.

Once the E-GDB is created, and using Data Management Tools, execute

1. Create Feature Dataset <- providing a Spatial Reference
  2. Add New Feature Class - polygon (call it, for instance, Service Territory) with GLOBALID and M-value
  3. Create one polygon feature by editing its geometry (which derives from the Spatial Reference used to create the Dataset)

It is at this point that you, from the Utility Network Tools, you would run

1. Create Utility Network - providing as input the just created Dataset and the polygon feature class

As a result, a UN is created containing all the UN internals plus its single Structure Network (SJ, SE, SJO, SJO).

At this point you run

• Add Domain Network - for each domain in your UN (in your case Water and Sewer)

Since the input parameter is THE UN just created, your domains inherit the UN's Spatial Reference as well as the validation extent defined by the polygon.

And that is why, if you were to apply different APs to the same target E-GDB UN... the APs must have the exact same polygon under the exact same Spatial Reference.

0 Kudos