Zoning Boundaries

Jump to solution
02-20-2020 04:01 PM
VancityBrian
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am having issues loading my Zoning District layer (Zoning Boundaries) into the Urban environment. I keep getting validation errors but there is no information as to what these errors are, and the help document does not contain any useful information for troubleshooting such an issue.

As far as I know and am aware my "Zoning Boundaries" match my Zoning Types I have uploaded.

Any help is appreciated!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DominikAllemann
Esri Contributor

Hi Brian Lee,

Thank you for your question.

Based on your screenshot I suspect that there are Zoning Boundaries which cannot be matched to a Zoning Type. 

The values in the Zoning Boundaries' Zoning Type field need to match a value in the Zoning Types' Join ID field. You can define which source field should be used as Zoning Type match field in the Zoning Boundaries import dialog.

Validation errors on Zoning Boundaries import are usually thrown for Zoning Boundaries pointing to a Zoning Type that does not exist in the Zoning Types table. Please be aware that the matching is also case sensitive - so I'd suggest to not only watch out for blanks but also for upper- and lower-case letters in both, the Zoning Type field of the Zoning Boundaries layer as well as in the Join ID field of the Zoning Types table. 

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DominikAllemann
Esri Contributor

Hi Brian Lee,

Thank you for your question.

Based on your screenshot I suspect that there are Zoning Boundaries which cannot be matched to a Zoning Type. 

The values in the Zoning Boundaries' Zoning Type field need to match a value in the Zoning Types' Join ID field. You can define which source field should be used as Zoning Type match field in the Zoning Boundaries import dialog.

Validation errors on Zoning Boundaries import are usually thrown for Zoning Boundaries pointing to a Zoning Type that does not exist in the Zoning Types table. Please be aware that the matching is also case sensitive - so I'd suggest to not only watch out for blanks but also for upper- and lower-case letters in both, the Zoning Type field of the Zoning Boundaries layer as well as in the Join ID field of the Zoning Types table. 

Hope this helps.

VancityBrian
New Contributor III

Hi Dominik Allemann,

Thanks for the quick response! My "Zoning Types" was downloaded directly from my "Zoning Boundaries" layer as I was under the assumption the CustomID (Zoning Types) would need to match the "Zoning Type" field and yet it still is invalidated. 

Can an issue be caused by one dataset containing 800 records and the other 1000? For instance, if my "Zoning Boundaries" has separated multi-part polygons? 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
DominikAllemann
Esri Contributor

Hi Brian Lee,

It is common that the amount of Zoning Types (i.e. entries in the Zoning Types table) is smaller than the amount of Zoning Boundaries (the actual geometries), since a certain Zoning Type can usually be assigned to multiple Zoning Boundaries (geometries). 

Therefore also multi-part polygons shouldn't cause any issues.

How did you import the Zoning Types into Urban:
a) From Spreadsheet?

b) From Feature Table?

c) From Feature Layer Symbology?

To narrow down the reason for the validation errors you could try to import only a small and overseeable subset of your Zoning Types and Zoning Boundaries - this makes "debugging" a lot easier :-). 

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
VancityBrian
New Contributor III

Hello!

Okay great, again I assumed so but wasn't sure.

I imported from a spreadsheet and I eventually did discover the problem (an internal one) where there was a discrepancy between the source of the same dataset. 

Very happy for your help - thank you so much!

Brian