Uploading image as a layer

Jump to solution
07-28-2022 07:47 AM
JosephBrownsberger
New Contributor

I am trying to upload an image to my ArcGIS Urban plan so that I can overlay it on the map and consequently design zones and parcels around it. I understand how I can add a layer to my map after it is in "My Content" (going to "Manage" and then to "3D Base Layers," clicking the pencil and selecting the layer) but I am at my wit's end trying to figure out how to upload the image into "My Content" as a layer/map in the first place. Does anyone have any advice here?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BethAnnWinebarger
New Contributor III

Hi Joseph,

Not sure if its the best, but here is my workflow:

• Georeference the image in Pro (or ArcMap) -- make sure to use Web Mercator projection
  • Share the image as a Web Layer
  • Select Layer Type as a Tile, place in an ArcGIS Online folder, share with groups as needed
  • Under Configuration - I make sure the scale I need is in within range on the slide bar
  • When you publish it, it will use a fair amount of storage credits for ArcGIS Online, depending on number of tiles it needs to use for the scale range chosen
  • Open it in a new Scene Viewer and save it (I like to add other layers here like streets, surrounding businesses, etc)
  • Then add it to my scenarios under 'Scenario Design Context'

Hope this helps or someone with more experience posts an easier workflow!

Beth Ann

View solution in original post

2 Replies
BethAnnWinebarger
New Contributor III

Hi Joseph,

Not sure if its the best, but here is my workflow:

• Georeference the image in Pro (or ArcMap) -- make sure to use Web Mercator projection
  • Share the image as a Web Layer
  • Select Layer Type as a Tile, place in an ArcGIS Online folder, share with groups as needed
  • Under Configuration - I make sure the scale I need is in within range on the slide bar
  • When you publish it, it will use a fair amount of storage credits for ArcGIS Online, depending on number of tiles it needs to use for the scale range chosen
  • Open it in a new Scene Viewer and save it (I like to add other layers here like streets, surrounding businesses, etc)
  • Then add it to my scenarios under 'Scenario Design Context'

Hope this helps or someone with more experience posts an easier workflow!

Beth Ann
JosephBrownsberger
New Contributor

That's very helpful, thank you!

0 Kudos