Data Linkages Between Uses

05-08-2020 09:24 AM
VancityBrian
New Contributor III

Hi!

Sorry for all the questions as of late! We are really digging into Urban and trying our best to apply our cities complexities to the environment as best we can

I was wondering, if there was a diagram illustrating the data links between uses to help manage how to best set up the core datasets. We have defined Space Use Types, Zoning Types are prepared and allowable space use types have been attributed, and are now trying to define Building Types based on our city's building typologies and  are trying to build the linkages to building parts via the defined Space Use Types. This gets quite complex as we have approximately 190 Space Use Types defined and trying to work out the proper links for best use. In addition, we know that scenarios are more than likely to be based upon changes in zoning and the actual reflection of existing scenarios may not play a big role, but still want our model to be a reflection of our Zoning and Land Use.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DominikAllemann
Esri Contributor

Hi Brian Lee‌,

Thanks for your question and no need to feel sorry about it. Q&A is one of the main purposes of the ArcGIS Urban GeoNet Place 🙂

I'm not quite sure if I fully got your question. Can you please specify a bit what you mean by 

the data links between uses

?

If your question is about how the different types are depending on each other: There is no publicly available diagram that shows the dependencies between the different types that you can define in Urban. But it is not that complicated:

• Space Use Types:
    • They can be used to restrict allowed usages in Zoning Types
    • They are used to define Building Types
  • Zoning Types: 
    • They are referenced by zoning polygons (which you can import from Layers --> Zoning)
  • Building Types: 
    • They build-up on the defined Space Use Types
  •  Project Status Types: 
    • They are referenced by the Projects you are uploading through the Urban data manager.

Let me know if you have further questions. 

Thanks,
Dominik

0 Kudos
VancityBrian
New Contributor III

Hi Dominik,

Thanks for your response! It was specific to how the different types depend on each other. I think that while we understand the dependencies, as I noted previously our zoning and land use regulations are quite complex and understanding how these components interact and influence each other isn't completely clear given the complex nature. We are right now trying to best understand how to implement our cities zoning and land use regulations into the Urban environment on top of numerous area specific plans, development plans, city-wide policies etc. and I think my initial question was a bit premature until we really dig into our work and gain clarity on what we are trying to achieve. In time I hope we are able to ask more specific questions. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
DominikAllemann
Esri Contributor

Hi Brian Lee‌,

Cool - thanks for the quick update on your question and where your city currently is regarding the implementation of ArcGIS Urban for supporting your urban planning efforts .

Just as a quick heads-up: a new version of Urban is planned to be released mid-June 2020. This upcoming version is going to support land use planning workflows, so stay tuned .

Thanks,
Dominik

0 Kudos