Unable to delete track points? Was there an update?

Jump to solution
03-19-2021 08:04 AM
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

Yesterday and today when I have tried to delete track points in ArcGIS Pro connecting to the tracks service. This is something I have done before and not too long ago. Currently when I delete selected track records in ArcGIS Pro, the records disappear, I save the edits, and right after that the track points reappear? I have tried this is several times yesterday and already today. 

All I can figure is there was an update and now we can't delete track points. Hopefully this is a bug.

Thanks for your help,

Kathy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It looks like ArcGIS Pro is using the applyEdits REST API to attempt to delete track points via the GlobalID field. This has never been supported for the location tracking service in ArcGIS Online. I can reproduce this issue and I'll open a bug internally for the feature service to consider supporting this (it's likely not going to be supported for a while FYI).

The supported way to delete tracks is using the deleteFeatures API. I'm not sure if there's way in Pro to do this.

This can also be done using ArcGIS API for Python using delete_features method.

I'm surprised this worked before. Have you upgraded ArcGIS Pro recently?

Can you explain why you need to delete features?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It looks like ArcGIS Pro is using the applyEdits REST API to attempt to delete track points via the GlobalID field. This has never been supported for the location tracking service in ArcGIS Online. I can reproduce this issue and I'll open a bug internally for the feature service to consider supporting this (it's likely not going to be supported for a while FYI).

The supported way to delete tracks is using the deleteFeatures API. I'm not sure if there's way in Pro to do this.

This can also be done using ArcGIS API for Python using delete_features method.

I'm surprised this worked before. Have you upgraded ArcGIS Pro recently?

Can you explain why you need to delete features?

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Its been probably 5 weeks since I've updated ArcGIS Pro, but currently I'm using 2.7.0. I know I have never used the API for deleting tracks before, but I will look into it. It would be much easier to be able to delete tracks in Pro.

My instance yesterday is folks are still learning to use the apps and a user yesterday forgot to disable tracks after they completed their survey and did not want the tracks after that to show up or be recorded. We are currently downloading the track points from surveys and appending each day's tracks to a public view so we can provide the public where the aerial surveys are occurring each day. In the case yesterday the user didn't want the extra tracks to show on the public view nor are they needed to be kept in the tracks service.

I have had a lot of errors including today unrelated to tracks that I'm starting what used to work and what didn't.  I will look into the API, but its so nice in Pro to simply select the tracks I want to delete and then delete versus having to look up which IDs they are seems way more tedious.

Thanks,

Kathy

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the additional info. I suspected it was a scenario like you described. I agree that doing this in Pro would be easier. We do provide a related script that can delete tracks that fall within or outside a polygon.

0 Kudos