Tracks in Collector disappear mid-survey

Jump to solution
03-13-2020 01:20 PM
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I've been posting a lot of questions here lately so thanks for your patience. I'm assisting with surveys remotely. One of our biologists was out collecting data today and they relayed the tracks were showing great in the Collector for ArcGIS app until about mid-survey when they disappeared. From what I understand, in the Tracker app the biologist could see his locations and I believe the 'My tracks' layer still showed in the layers list in Collector but nothing was showing on the Collector map.

Has this happened with others? Any ideas of what might be happening? We will be going thru the Tracker data this afternoon but he said the external GPS was working and held connection.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!,
Kathy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kathy,

Can you clarify a couple of things for me: Are you (your fieldworkers) working in a connected or offline environment? ArcGIS Online or Enterprise? And finally, do you have an estimate on how long it took before they stopped seeing the tracks?

Keep in mind that tracks do not draw until the map is panned/zoomed or otherwise refreshed. They could also try turning the layer off/on again to see if that prompts the redraw. 

With some additional information I hope to be able to help further. Thanks!

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kathy,

Can you clarify a couple of things for me: Are you (your fieldworkers) working in a connected or offline environment? ArcGIS Online or Enterprise? And finally, do you have an estimate on how long it took before they stopped seeing the tracks?

Keep in mind that tracks do not draw until the map is panned/zoomed or otherwise refreshed. They could also try turning the layer off/on again to see if that prompts the redraw. 

With some additional information I hope to be able to help further. Thanks!

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your reply. I had responded but I don't see my reply. 

The biologists are working in an offline environment and the data is from AGOL. In talking more with my coworker, it sounds like it was what you said above in that the tracks were still there or will show again once the map is panned/zoomed/refreshed. They may have turned them off the layer in the process as well. Our understanding, is that the tracks would update in the map with the location since the surveys are taking place in a plane and we thought the tracks would update similar to your tracks in a boat chart plotter. It sounds like this is sort of true with the tracks in the Collector app but a person has to keep interacting with the map to view the updated tracks (pan, zoom, refresh).

Regardless this is good information to consider when using the apps.

Thanks,
Kathy

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Our understanding, is that the tracks would update in the map with the location since the surveys are taking place in a plane and we thought the tracks would update similar to your tracks in a boat chart plotter. It sounds like this is sort of true with the tracks in the Collector app but a person has to keep interacting with the map to view the updated tracks (pan, zoom, refresh).

There was a limitation in the ArcGIS Runtime SDK that prevented this. It was just recently resolved (last week) so you should see the behavior you described in a future update of Collector.