Creating a Feature Layer for Tracking

01-26-2021 09:56 AM
DeepUppal
New Contributor II

Hello Everyone! I hope this isn't to simple a question... but I have downloaded the Arc Tracker (and Field Maps) app. I can set permissions (I am an Admin on our account) and view the Tracked iPhone on the Track Viewer. 

However when I try to create a feature layer, so I can use the tracks and location services on other maps, apps, etc, I can't seem to connect the tracking data to the layer... I followed the directions, specifically:

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 12.52.10 PM.png

But when I look at the layer, I don't see the data:

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 12.51.10 PM.png

-and obviously when I add the layer to the map, I dont see the location of the iPhones... I feel like Im missing out on the part where you can connect the feature layer to the data...

Any help would be appreciated! 

Reference Used:https://doc.arcgis.com/en/collector-classic/android/create-maps/track-where-collectors-went.html

11 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think there is some confusion here. The instructions you linked to only apply for Collector Classic. They do not apply  for Tracker, Collector, or Field Maps.

You mentioned that you are able to view tracks using Track Viewer, in order to do that you must have created a Track View. This is a feature layer view that the administrator owns. This can be shared with other users either through Track Viewer or through ArcGIS Online. Any user that needs to view other peoples tracks, needs to have the "view location tracks" privilege added to their role.

You can add the track view layers to any other maps and use them in apps like ArcGIS Dashboards and Web App Builder.

0 Kudos
DeepUppal
New Contributor II

Thanks so much for the reply Aaron! Can you walk me through how to add them to an ArcGIS Dashboard? Because when I create a layer for them, there no data that I can see... 

I totally agree about me being confused though. I have, as you indicated, created a Track View. But I can't find it when I want to add it to a layer in a map. So I assume I have to create a tracking layer (using the location tracking template). However How do I get the data in there? Or failing that, how do I create a layer to use in a map with the tracking data?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

After you create the track view, it will appear as a feature layer item in your (the owner of the location tracking service) content. Then you can add that to a new map.

AaronPulver_0-1611710027929.png

Then use that map in a dashboard. It's highly recommended to apply a relative date filter in the map prior to adding it to the dashboard.

AaronPulver_1-1611710081588.png

AaronPulver_2-1611710174157.png

There is no need to use the Location Tracking Template.

Waffle_House
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @Anonymous User, if I could just tag onto this question with a question of mine that might also help the original poster:

I have created maps using the point layer views that are created by creating a Track View in the web app, and would like to view these maps in Collector and Field Maps. However, the maps do not perform as expected in the apps. The layers show up in the layers list and can be toggled on/off but whether the features show up seems a bit unpredictable. I can force the features to draw by long pressing on the layer on my iPad.

Is this expected behaviour? I can see from here https://doc.arcgis.com/en/tracker/faq/faq.htm#anchor15 that Tracker data is meant to be integratable with other apps but it doesn't go into detail about which ones and what the requirements are. 

Please clarify if possible. Thank you!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Waffle_Housethe runtime apps like Collector and Field Maps are submitting a spatial query that is not supported by the location tracking feature service when the layer is initially loaded. You can find more information by searching for BUG-000136739. We are going to try and address this on the feature service side for the next ArcGIS Online update. Can you confirm that's the issue are you running into?

Waffle_House

Hi @Aaron, thank you so much for replying to this so quickly. That bug definitely looks like what I am seeing. Is there a bug that exists for Collector as well?

Do you have any idea why this issue would not show up in Collector Classic?

Cheers,

Dylan

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Collector Classic uses a much older version of the ArcGIS Runtime SDK which probably does a different type of query. All the current field apps (besides Collector Classic) are based on runtime 100.X

0 Kudos
Waffle_House

Very useful, thank you so much.

0 Kudos
DEI
by
Occasional Contributor

Hello!

We purchased Tracker about two weeks ago and in testing with Field Maps mobile app found similar issues to what dtree described. The Location Tracking layer shows up as expected in AGOL but inconsistent in  Field Maps. Some portions of routes would not be visible at all. However, I'm thankful to dtree for mentioning "I can force the features to draw by long pressing on the layer on my iPad". So for the time being, my work around is each time I open the map in Field Maps, I zoom way out (it doesn't work if I'm zoomed in), long press the Location Tracking layer, zoom back in to my current location and all my tracks are then visible. Not an ideal workflow but not sure what else to do.

0 Kudos