XLSForm Conversion Failed

03-24-2022 10:17 PM
JuanDuran
New Contributor II

I have been working with Survey123 creating an XLS Form. Everything was fine until I think I use too many choices. I have to use the same questions for a lot of variables in my survey: I would have the owner of the pole, and the owner of the anchor and the owner of the wires and so on. The question is: can I use the same choice list in all of the questions?

I have 

select_one poleownerpole_owner

and the choices are:

list_namenamelabel
poleownertelusTELUS
poleownerjointJOINT
poleownerbchydroBC HYDRO
poleownerunknUNKNOWN

when I am in other question, I need to know the owner of the anchor

select_one anchorowner

anchor_owner

Do I have to use another choice list like this?

anchorownertelusTELUS
anchorownerjointJOINT
anchorownerbchydroBC HYDRO
anchorownerunknUNKNOWN
anchorownerpolePOLE

Or can I use the same variable (type and name) and only one list of choices for all the times I need the owner?

something like: select_one owner with the name owner and with a list of choices just owner and the options? 

I am asking this because I am getting this XLSForm Conversion Failed error because I think I have too many choices ....it is a long form and I have this questions and others repeated over and over and I have created a long list of choices.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JuanDuran
New Contributor II

No, it is not the long list of choices.

I cut the whole form to the first group and I am still having that issue. Please help.

Here is the first group and some few choices and I am having the same message.

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi.The XLSForm validation service is not returning XLSForm syntax error descriptions. I created an internal note to point this out.

You should be able to reuse lists across multiple questions. Pleas wait until the validation service problem is addressed. Without proper error messages is very difficult to design a form. In line 5 your question references a missing list in the choices list. Lines 40 and 41 also cause trouble, but I have not been able to figure out what's wrong with them.

LeonardBarnhill
Occasional Contributor

My comment on reuse is almost moot after Ismael's response but I will agree and confirm that you can reuse items in the choice list for different questions.  I do it repeatedly with yes_no, name lists, and condition assessment questions.

As to the error message with no details about XLSForm conversion, I get the same message and have been unable to determine the cause.

0 Kudos
JeffreySteele
New Contributor II

I received the error XLSForm conversion failed! this morning, when trying to make a survey from a feature class. my other surveys work fine and I can update them. It only happens on new surveys. I still receive the excel data, very strange. Am I doing something wrong or is it the program itself? Thank you for your time. 

0 Kudos
JeffreySteele
New Contributor II

Thank You! I missed that post.

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

The fix is now in production. Thanks for your patience.

0 Kudos