Will Adding To Survey123 Connect Overwrite Data or Change Links?

Jump to solution
12-24-2021 09:03 AM
GRmapper
Occasional Contributor

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this but really appreciate all that I've seen so far. 

I was given a task to add a new entry in an existing dropdown on a form created with Survey123 Connect. There is no new field being added, just another choice in the dropdown is being added. Now that I know Survey123 requires me to update the form using the .XLS because the original was created using Connect I want to be sure I am doing this correctly. My steps are:

1) Go to the survey in my AGO organization.

2) Download the survey into my Survey123 Connect app on my machine.

3) Edit the .XLS to add the new dropdown entry.

And then here is where I am less confident.

If I publish the updated .XLS back up will  1) any data already collected by the form go away?, 2) will the link currently being used by my team change?, 3) will any dashboards that use the associated feature layers or services no longer know about the updated survey?

Likely these are very simple questions. I just don't yet have the understanding to know exactly what will happen. I hope with publishing it just update the survey and all continue to work flawlessly.    

Thanks in advance!!

GR

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kanin
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hello Greg,

1. Generally, adding new rows for choices or drop-down entries won't affect existing data. However, deleting or altering choices and questions could affect the data. If you are simply adding a new choice, there should be no issues. E.g.
    • BEFORE: Washington, Oregon, California
    • AFTER: Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada
  2. The feature layer item ID and feature service URL will not change if you overwrite the form.
  3. Because of #2, your dashboard won't be affected as it is referencing the same URL via the web map. Although you may need to refresh the data in elements/charts/selectors by loading the categories again.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Kanin 

If this answer solved your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution" to help others who have the same question.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AllanBrown
New Contributor II
Yes that is correct. Happens a lot as your survey questions become mature
GRmapper
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Allan. So to be clear you answered yes to the notion that editing with the connector app and republishing simply updates the survey and makes no changes to existing data or links. And the issues I listed in 1), 2) and 3) aren’t concerns?  Thanks again. 

Kanin
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hello Greg,

1. Generally, adding new rows for choices or drop-down entries won't affect existing data. However, deleting or altering choices and questions could affect the data. If you are simply adding a new choice, there should be no issues. E.g.
    • BEFORE: Washington, Oregon, California
    • AFTER: Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada
  2. The feature layer item ID and feature service URL will not change if you overwrite the form.
  3. Because of #2, your dashboard won't be affected as it is referencing the same URL via the web map. Although you may need to refresh the data in elements/charts/selectors by loading the categories again.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Kanin 

If this answer solved your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution" to help others who have the same question.

GRmapper
Occasional Contributor
Thank You Kanin. Very detailed and very helpful. 
Kanin
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

The pleasure is all mine, Greg!

BR,
Kanin