Why is list_name highlighted in red?

Jump to solution
10-10-2017 12:24 PM
BonnieWeller1
New Contributor III

While working in Connect, I have several list_name groups but one is highlighted in red and I don't know why? I have attached images of the items in question.

It is specific to this name. I have not posted this form yet but the pull down menu for CLAffiliation still seems to work in Connect and no errors show up when clicking Validate check mark.

Ideas as to why this is highlighted in red?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ElliottPlack1
New Contributor III

It looks like you may have copied the value "CLAffiliation" in choices list_name column from another sheet because the fonts are different. Doing this will bring any formatting along and any data validation rules, which are present on the survey sheet.

To prevent, try this:

1. Copy the cell with the list name
  2. Paste it with the Only Values option (MS Office help link). This will strip any formatting or text that you cannot see.

Alternative: strip the formatting

1. Select the red cells
  2. Clear Formats (typically on the Home ribbon in the Editing group)
  3. Be wary that this could inadvertently mask an error that will prevent the survey from functioning

It is quite possible that copied text contains an invisible character like a trailing space that is causing your form to 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
BonnieWeller1
New Contributor III

I deleted the CLAffiliation group and then copied and pasted empty rows from the bottom of the form into the top and repopulated the information.  That seemed to work. I think there was something about the top rows the program did not like. I think they were really copies the first row on the sheet - with hidden pre-formatted info? The border color for all those "red" cells showed up in the properties as green (the same color as the top row) even though they did not display green. Doing an insert row on the second row did not work. I had to insert rows copied from the bottom of the sheet. Go figure.

0 Kudos
ElliottPlack1
New Contributor III

It looks like you may have copied the value "CLAffiliation" in choices list_name column from another sheet because the fonts are different. Doing this will bring any formatting along and any data validation rules, which are present on the survey sheet.

To prevent, try this:

1. Copy the cell with the list name
  2. Paste it with the Only Values option (MS Office help link). This will strip any formatting or text that you cannot see.

Alternative: strip the formatting

1. Select the red cells
  2. Clear Formats (typically on the Home ribbon in the Editing group)
  3. Be wary that this could inadvertently mask an error that will prevent the survey from functioning

It is quite possible that copied text contains an invisible character like a trailing space that is causing your form to 

BonnieWeller1
New Contributor III

The paste Only Values option did not work. Clear Formats did. There were no leading or trailing spaces.

I have often done my formatting a separate spreadsheet and copied and pasted the work into the form. Good to know that this is bad form. Pun intended.

Thanks for your help.