Webhooks not triggering randomly

03-16-2021 01:49 PM
PaulSweeney3
Occasional Contributor III

We use survey123 and integromat extensively and it seems generally very reliable however recently I have users mention they have a small percentage of forms submitted, with a webhook attached , but no record of it on integromat. The record is successfully submitted to Survey123 but it did not trigger in integromat. I am unsure as to who I should raise a support ticket with. Is it more likely to be an integromat issue or survey123?

Tags (1)
29 Replies
PaulSweeney3
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @JamesTedrick 

Thanks for your response on this, thats great that there is a fix coming.  It's  interesting about the user putting the app into background manually causing the webhookto fail, it's very likely to happen especially considering how busy users can be . I will inform all users that best practice is to wait until they see the survey  Sent successfully before moving on . 

0 Kudos
TylerBragg2
Occasional Contributor II

This is interesting, because I'm primarily experiencing this with the webform, though I have experienced it with the mobile app as well.  We have one survey where users (public) apply for new utility service with our municipal sewer department (through the Survey123 webform), and that's the primary one that seems to experience this problem.  So given that this is coming from the webform and not the mobile app, what could be the cause of that?  And does this new update do anything to fix it?  

TylerBragg2

@JamesTedrick  are you able to shed any light as to where the webhook action takes place - on the server or the client?  I have a survey where this issue has occurred multiple times, and it happened again this morning.  This is a public survey where the survey is completed via the Survey123 web app - so surveys are ever submitted via the Survey123 mobile app.  I have a webhook set up in Integromat to automate some processes with the submission data and there have been serval times where it appears there was no trigger for the process after a survey response is submitted.  Since this keeps happening, I need to figure out what is going on and resolve the problem.  I'm not sure where to look at this point to determine why there was no action.  I have checked in Integromat, but there are no errors for this submission - it just appears as if it didn't receive any notification of a new survey submission because there is no record of it at all.  There seems to be some confusion/disagreement as to where the webhook is generated.  I assumed that it must be from the server, since that's where the webhook is configured (and also given that feature level webhooks are set up from the server as well), but I may have assumed incorrectly.  Can you clarify?  I think this will help me get an idea of where to look.  Then there is the question of a webhook log - is there somewhere that has a log of each webhook action?  Any help would be appreciated.  

Tyler

0 Kudos
JulieMikolajczyk
New Contributor II

Has anyone found a resolution to this? This happens to us occasionally as well. I will upvote the idea mentioned below.

0 Kudos
MichaelOwens
New Contributor II

Following... Same experience here as others have already described above. I will add that I have only one person in particular (that I know of) whose submissions do not appear in the Integromat "History" but everyone else's do and the scenario runs successfully for them. The scenario was functioning at one point for this user, but then all of a sudden she stopped receiving the email notifications (which includes a report attachment). I am also struggling to find a ArcGIS Online/Survey123 "webhook log" so that I can attempt to trace the traffic. Obviously, Integromat is not receiving the traffic or it would appear in the History of the triggered scenario.

StrathconaBTS
New Contributor III

FYI - Still experiencing missed S123 webhook issues in April 2022 - Enterprise 10.8.1

ISP_graynic

We are experiencing this same issue as random ones not triggering.

StrathconaBTS
New Contributor III

We have inconsistent webhook behaviour in our surveys both on the web form and the mobile app. To answer @TylerBragg2 's quesionts, it turns out the webhook is fired directly from the app and web browser, NOT portal/arcgis.com once the data is received. This is an unfortunate implementation as it is highly susceptible to whatever the firewall settings are for the network the submitting user is on. If the network blocks access to integromat.com (possibly make.com too) then the webhook will time out and never fire. We are currently solving this issue at our company as we have issues at most of our offices.

0 Kudos
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

I've noticed this issue as well, however I am using Power Automate for our webhook. We've only had it happen a handful of times, the VAST majority occur without a problem.

Seeing that it triggers from the app itself makes sense why both platforms would be having issues though, we definitely need a log SOMEWHERE so we can assess what has caused that one to be lost.

If there are any updates on logging for this that would be great! I saw in 2021 James offered there was an update coming but I'm not sure if @JamesTedrick or @SeanKMcGinnis might have some further information since it's still occurring. (The survey I notice it on has no images or callback set)

0 Kudos
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

Alright, I'm back at this one to report it happening again, yesterday around 3:30pm (Atlantic Time) we had 5 different survey responses that were submitted that never trigger the webhook they're associated with. One survey had 4 (of 9 submitted) not trigger, and 1 (of 3 submitted) from another survey never reached the webhook. 

This is a huge issue for us (while admittedly part of it is my inability to get editing a row in SQL to update instead of creating a new one when a survey is edited) but was there a service issue? Is it just the trigger ending up in the ether for some reason? Anything we can do to try and help traceback the issue?

0 Kudos