Utility Field As-builts Trimble GPS

01-30-2020 03:28 PM
ModernElectric
Occasional Contributor III

Greetings:

For the past few years, I have been trying to convince my company to move away from the Tape Measure, Pen and Paper style of doing Utility As-Builts (Electric and Water) and move to collecting GPS points for new infrastructure and service(s) that we install using a GPS receiver and our current Trimble Nomad field data collection device. As of now, I have had very little luck in convincing them that this would be a benefit to our company and my GIS database. 

What I would like is to see if there are other companies out there that are using a GPS Receiver and some kind of mobile hardware to collect Field As-Builts, specifically in the electric and water utility industry that I could get some advice and feedback on how it has benefited their field As-Built collection workflow. My goal is to be able to collect new infrastructure installation data (Valves, meters, end-points of mainlines, building corners, etc) via GPS coordinates at a very high accuracy and append the newly collected data into my overall dataset. However, as I mentioned before, convincing the decision makers is becoming a challenge and I need some assistance. 

Any advice or assistance in helping me achieve my goal(s), would be great.

Thank You

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

In the Survey123 context, Field Technology magazine published an article on San Francisco's Public Utilities- https://community.esri.com/groups/mobile-gis/blog/2017/03/30/mobilizing-inspections-saves-40000 .  I'd also recommend looking at some of the case studies available at Field Operations | Field Apps to Optimize Efficiency , such as GIS Field Apps Keep Public Works Department Running Smoothly 

0 Kudos