Using choice_filter with a select_multiple question.

Jump to solution
07-17-2017 12:00 PM
AlexCarrier
New Contributor II

In my survey I have a list of structure types: Single Family, Multi Family, Other Habitable, Non Habitable, Coastal Protection, & Shore Protection. I also have a list damage types. Most damage types only apply to certain structure types. Using the choice_filter, I have been able to make it so only certain damage types appear as choices for my structure types, however this is with a select_one question type. Is it possible to have all of the damage types appear if they select more than one structure type in a select_multiple question type? 

4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Alex,

Currently cascading selects (choice filters) are not supported with select_multiple question types, they will only work on a select_one. A feature enhancement already exists for this issue, so I have added your request/comments to the issue.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @DanBihari,

Taking a quick look at your xslx form, the expression in the choice filter is incorrect. As the result of a select multiple question is a comma seperated string, you can not use the status = ${Staff_Unit} expression, as the string in the choice sheet status column would have to match exactly the comma seperated string.

If you use selected() in the choice filter expression, it will work as expected as follows:

selected(${Staff_Unit},status)

I tested this with your xlsx file and works great.

Regards,

Phil.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @BryanO_Reilly,

From the video it appears you are using an older version of Connect, at least 3.11 or earlier. I can tell by the UI design, it was updated in 3.12, the menu and locations of profile photo and settings menu are in a different location. Please update to 3.12 from the resources page: https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-survey123/resources#settingup

Select multiple cascading selects are not supported in 3.11 or earlier. You will need to refresh you survey and publish it again with 3.12, after that it should work as expected.

Phil.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @WhitneyWeber,

As per the previous comments in this post, the problem is the choice filter you are using, with select multiple you can not use a normal choice filter the same as you do for a select one. As there could be more than one answer in the comma separated list of the select multiple, you have to use the selected() function in the choice filter.

Therefore for any question with a choice filter that references a select multiple, you need to replace:

choices=${subcategory}

with

selected(${subcategory},choices)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Alex,

Currently cascading selects (choice filters) are not supported with select_multiple question types, they will only work on a select_one. A feature enhancement already exists for this issue, so I have added your request/comments to the issue.

Regards,

Phil.

RenatoSalvaleon
Occasional Contributor III

Philip Wilson‌, please add me to the list. I have a very similar feature need. I have a list of feature classes and a user picks a feature class on the list. The next question is a select_one which shows list of attributes of the feature class on the previous question. I'd like the second question type for the attributes to be select_multiple instead.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Philip Wilson - Me too.

In the interim I'm using select_multiple with relevant fields.

For example:

If choice A is chosen - display list_name relevant to choice A.

If choice B is chosen - display list_name relevant to choice B.

Trippetoe

Hey there.

We have run into this problem as well - we want to use a filtered list with a select_multiple question. But, alas, that doesn't seem possible, yet

Can you provide some additional details on how you are swapping out list_name for a question based on a 'choice' as you outlined in your response?

Thank you.

DanielMcIlroy
Occasional Contributor

Hi Tom,
Another option could be to put the select into a repeat.

Instead of using a select multiple, you could use it as multiple select_one questions in the loop.

My example is recording the presence of multiple GNSS receivers, with their make and model number. instead of being able to select two manufacturers, you select one, then the subsequent model number, then add a new response to the repeat.

Not as clean as a choice_filter of course, but it seems to work for what we were after.

Regards,

Dan

0 Kudos
JoshZeeb
New Contributor II

Tom,

Here is an example for you:

Choices tab:

list_namenamelabel
maintenanceCategoryRoutineRoutine
maintenanceCategoryRestorationRestoration
maintenanceCategoryRehabilitationRehabilitation

Survey tab:

typenamelabelrelevant
select_one maintenanceCategorymaintenance_categoryMaintenance Category
select_multiple routineWorkroutine_workRoutine Workselected(${maintenance_category}, 'Routine')
select_multiple restorationWorkrestoration_workRestoration Workselected(${maintenance_category}, 'Restoration')
select_multiple rehabilitationWorkrehabilitation_workRehabilitation Workselected(${maintenance_category}, 'Rehabilitation')

Instead of calling out a column to filter the choices following a parent selection, as you would with a 'choice_filter', you have to call out the parent selection by value.

Anneka_France

Please add me to this list.

We really need this feature to streamline our workflow! Currently our field workers are having to scroll through a long list of options every time they create a record. Only a few of these options are relevant, based on their response to an earlier question about the asset type, but there is no way to filter the choice list for the select multiple field.

Thanks

Anneka France
Technical Manager at The Rivers Trust
0 Kudos
DanielMcIlroy
Occasional Contributor

Hi Philip Wilson‌,

Just wondering if there has been any progress on this feature enhancement? We are another area that would very much like to be able to use the choice_filter based on a select_multiple

Regards,

Dan

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Dan,

No, this feature enhancement is still in our backlog and didn't make it into the 3.5 update.

Phil.