Using a feature layer for predictive text and auto-populate in Survey123 Connect

07-08-2021 12:19 PM
ZGutknecht
New Contributor II

I have a parcel list over 10,000 records in an hosted feature layer.  I would like to be able to take that feature layer parcel list and use it for predictive text in the Parcel ID field of my surver123 connect form.  I then want subsequent landowner name and address to auto-populate in the form as well based on the parcel ID entered. 

Tags (1)
3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You should check out using JavaScript functions in your survey. Pulling a huge list of IDs would probably slow down your survey quite a bit. Take a look at some of the other examples of pulling attributes from a feature service, you may find some helpful tips.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Dynamic lookups to a service is coming in 3.13.  It is in beta now if you want to try it.

But as posted it would be slow with that many.  Plus you would need to be online all the time.

It may be better to have a script that populates a CSV then use linked content to keep it up to date.  There are posts on how to do this.

Other option is to use Collector/Field Maps and launch and pass the id from there.  Nice to be spatial for finding the correct parcel.  You could even use Arcade with Intersect that would auto grab the parcel they are standing on.  Way less chance of error.

Hope that helps

DerrickWestoby
Occasional Contributor III

Sorry if you were already aware of this, but I just wanted to make sure that you saw this note in the "Dynamic choice lists" post in the early adopter community:

Important: All ArcGIS layers have a maxRecordCount setting that determines the maximum number of features that can be returned in a single query. This can have implications on the number of choices that will be populated in a choice list, especially when the search() appearance is used without any other search parameters (ie only the tableName parameter is specified - you want all features to be loaded as choices). For example, if the maxRecordCount setting is 2,000, but the layer has 5,000 features, the resulting choice list will only contain a maximum of 2,000 choices. Using search parameters (searchType, searchColumn, searchText) helps reduce the impact of the maxRecordCount setting by reducing the number of query results, but in some circumstances you may need to increase this value. This Tech Support article  shows how to update the maxRecordCount value.

I think that the linked content approach that @DougBrowning recommended is probably the best approach.