Update coded values

Jump to solution
01-16-2019 07:01 AM
Lars_EngelsbyMosbech
New Contributor II

Hi,

We are doing a project using Survey123. 

One of the benefits of using Survey123 is that we can use the associated REST service to do integrations with other functionality. For instance are we right now building an automatic PDF report generator that would generate a report for each survey. It uses the REST api to for instance match coded domain values.

However, we updated some choice lists in Survey123 Excel. This update dosent seem to update the Rest service - even after republishing the service.

The choice list [list_ok] had originally only one choice option [OK] and was published. Now we updated it with 4 in choices in total.

After re-publishing the survey through Survey123, the rest service isent updating its coded values - See inspect_* - it only contains choice0: OK

Does anyone have an idea on why the coded values arent updated?

We use ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1 on premise for the entire setup and Survery123 Version 3.0.1.42

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Lars_EngelsbyMosbech @AprilChipman,

Just wanted to let you know with the upcoming 3.16 October Release of Survey123 we have made improvements to the Connect publishing workflow with regards to domains and choice lists. You can check out the latest announcement, documentation and test out the latest 3.16 beta builds via the Early Adopter Community to get early access to these builds and the new Connect publishing workflows. You feedback on these improvements would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Lars

For select_one questions the domain values are created in the feature service when the survey is first published, however the domain is not updated on subsequent modifications to the choices in the survey. The workarounds are to manually add the domain values to the existing feature service in ArcGIS Online, or publish the survey again from scratch to create a brand new feature service.

The ability to update the domain when republishing from Survey123 Connect has been raised as an enhancement. I'll add your post to our internal discussion and update this thread when we have more information.

Kind regards,

Jim

0 Kudos
Lars_EngelsbyMosbech
New Contributor II

Hi Jim,

Thanks for quick answer - and thanks for taking my case along.

The proposed workaround that you link to are only available through ArcGIS Online. Portal dosent have that option yet (at least to my knowledge). So do you suggest that we update the coded values directly through the REST api instead? Or is there any other more sufficient methods available?

We cannot publish the service again from scratch as we have too many dependencies on the service and the ItemID.

Best

Lars

0 Kudos
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Lars

Apologies, I overlooked that you're using Enterprise. Updating the domain values via the REST API should work (ensuring the values match the choices in the XLSForm of the republished survey). Advise that you proceed with caution and back up your data before making the changes. Please let us know if you have any queries.

Jim

0 Kudos
Lars_EngelsbyMosbech
New Contributor II

I found this tool that gives me the option to update domains manually for each field. Great tool for my specific need 🙂 ArcGIS Solutions Deployment Tool | ArcGIS Solutions 

AprilChipman
Occasional Contributor III

Lars, I downloaded the tool but see a lot of different options, although none of them specifically describe the ability to update domains. Can you tell me which tool you used?

0 Kudos
Lars_EngelsbyMosbech
New Contributor II

Its been a while since i worked with it - but try going into different menues. As i remember it, the update domain tool is in manage data or equal (cant remember the name perfectly..)

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Lars_EngelsbyMosbech @AprilChipman,

Just wanted to let you know with the upcoming 3.16 October Release of Survey123 we have made improvements to the Connect publishing workflow with regards to domains and choice lists. You can check out the latest announcement, documentation and test out the latest 3.16 beta builds via the Early Adopter Community to get early access to these builds and the new Connect publishing workflows. You feedback on these improvements would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos