Select to view content in your preferred language

Unexpected result when integer field type is chaged to calculate or hidden

Jump to solution
11-15-2017 11:43 AM
BrentKinal1
Frequent Contributor

See attached xlsx form.

When I add 1 to a field set to type integer I get the expected result of 1 more than the integer value

e.g: 1 + ${int}....if int = 2 the result is 3

However if I change the integer field to calculate or hidden and 1 to the value of the field I get an unexpected result of a the calculate or hidden value with a leading 1. In this case I also have the field type set to Integer

e.g: 1 + ${calc}....if calc = 2 the result is 12

Am I doing something wrong here or is this a bug?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Brent,

Calculate questions are text by default, causing the 'addition' to being string concatenation (i.e., 'a' + 1 = 'a1').  You would either need to convert the value using either int() or number() functions, or create a bind::type column in you worksheet and specify either integer or decimal as the type of the calculate question.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Brent,

Calculate questions are text by default, causing the 'addition' to being string concatenation (i.e., 'a' + 1 = 'a1').  You would either need to convert the value using either int() or number() functions, or create a bind::type column in you worksheet and specify either integer or decimal as the type of the calculate question.

BrentKinal1
Frequent Contributor

Thanks James, The int() function worked great. The bind::type set to integer alone did not make a difference.

0 Kudos