Unable to Republish/Overwrite Survey

11-28-2016 05:28 AM
VanessaCampbell2
New Contributor II

I have update my survey by adding a new name to one of my questions.

When I go to (re)Publish the survey, the survey passes the checking feature service -  "this survey will be updated without affecting existing data", then I click publish survey

After clicking the publish survey button it prompts the "Updating survey form package" the bar loads blue all cross but the spinning circle just keeps spinning and doesn't load anything. The load time has been going for almost a hour now.

I am using the most up to date Connect 1.9.24.

I have done the normal troubleshooting method close, restart, (re)publish, etc.

My survey is live and in production so this long load time is really affecting my clients out in the field.

I have added/delete a name from this exact survey and never dealt with this issue before.

How can I handle this? I haven't come across this issue on GeoNet, please let me know if this is a known issue.

This is my first post so hopefully this is the right place to post an error/bug  

Thanks

42 Replies
HeikoKling1
New Contributor

Same problem here. Maybe the trouble started when I removed the survey from the mobile decide instead of overwriting it with the new form. Thereby the form folder was probably deleted and the App couldn't find the target.

I ended up creating a new form and copy/pasting the definitions across in Excel. Took only 2 minutes. Afterwards I deleted the old version from the desktop application and published the new form to the mobile device.

Initially I had tried to log off from the web-portal and the desktop app in order to release any locks - but without any luck.

Regards, Heiko

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Heiko,

A quick question- can you go to the Survey folder in the 'My Content' section of ArcGIS Online?  If you see hosted views, that may interfere with re-publishing of the survey.

LaurenMcGarvey
New Contributor II

I am having this same issue and there is a hosted views in my survey folder.  What should I do?

0 Kudos
Jean-YvesLandry1
Occasional Contributor

Having the same problem.  This is a survey that was published in November and wanted to add some choices and external choices.  I don't have any associated views.

0 Kudos
PaulCone2
Occasional Contributor III

I had this problem with a hang at the same place.  The survey points to an existing feature service and I didn't want to republish it so I renamed my survey folder and then created a new one from the .xls and it worked.

ShelbySouthworth1
New Contributor III

I am also experiencing this behavior - is there a particular reason why there's been a reprise in the issue in the past couple days? Is there a solution yet?
JTedrick-esristaff

JamesTedrick

Hi Shelby,

The hanging symptom can be caused by a number of disparate reasons - it essentially means that an error occurred that was not handled properly.  Can you provide a description of when in the publishing sequence the hanging is occurring? 

0 Kudos
ShelbySouthworth1
New Contributor III

Hi James -

I was experiencing this behavior after running into a similar need to Jean-Yves Landry‌ above. We had a domain with 6 operators and needed to add another handful so I republished my feature service to hold the new names in a domain, and then went back and made sure my new domain matched the "choices" list in Survey123 Connect. This was after trying to do the same by adding them to the feature service through the admin Service URL. At the time of the problem, there were no hosted views in the folder. The update from Survey123 Connect would show as "successful" but nothing would change when it was opened in the App (I tested this by changing the order of fields in the Survey and they did not update; I made sure to remove the Survey, re-download, and Refreshing the Inbox too). 

I couldn't wait to figure out what was going wrong with the original Survey so after a certain point I downloaded it and re-created everything - got it working after a few hours. As this user notes (and I identify with), "Several of these issues are recognized in other posts ... but it is only after I run into a problem and have tried to extensively troubleshoot, do I find an answer like "oh we know about that and it doesn't work yet". Definitely had a lot of run ins with different issues through-out this process that I will try to document at some point in the future.

One thing I have had some hang-ups with for sure was in the process of creating the unique URL to pull data from Collector into Survey123 - I made a couple billing fields 'readonly' in Connect at one point, and this prevented the URL from properly pulling them into Survey123. When I attempted to update this attribute and republish it without, the problem persisted  

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Shelby,

From your description, the republishing process you did should have updated the survey; without having access to the form, feature service or interactively troubleshooting, it is difficult to diagnose why the update process did not work.  Certainly, deleting with and redownloading the form should have presented you with the updated form.  This also sounds different from the issue you mentioned above, where Survey123 Connect hangs during the publishing process.

I'd be happy to follow up with the experiences/issues you want to document - please feel free to e-mail me directly at jtedrick At Esri.com so that we can schedule a time to talk.

On the read only fields getting populated - we corrected that behavior with Survey123 2.5; is it still persisting?

0 Kudos
ShelbySouthworth1
New Contributor III

It was hanging during the publishing process ... the only difference being that I wasn't getting an infinitely spinning wheel or loading bar to tell me something was going wrong. I guess my definition of "hanging" is a little different. In that while Survey123 Connect was telling me it had gone through successfully, the update that was apparently successful seemed to be "hanging" somewhere between Survey123 Connect and Survey123 on the web, which I determined based on what my apps were not doing that they would have been working if that update had actually gone through successfully.

I sent you a couple of emails yesterday but I think I've come as close to a complete solution that I'm going to get with this current version of Survey123.  Next time I have one of these Apps seriously fail I will leave it unpublished, but in my Account, so the ESRI techs can pull it apart. I just have two short follow up questions based on my findings that I will send you via email momentarily (if you wouldn't mind answering those eventually/ when you get a chance).