Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to publish survey. Error "Unable to publish the survey. -1: missing itemId / folderId / Params args

Jump to solution
09-05-2024 01:31 PM
AdamTerrell
Emerging Contributor

I have a survey that I am attempting to update. The layer and associated views are a part of a collaboration from Online to Portal. I have made some changes to the form (removing previous employees' emails and adding my email to a dropdown). After saving and attempting to publish I get the following error.

AdamTerrell_0-1725568195566.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

and I attempted to republish it from the web, would this cause an issue?

@AdamTerrell wrote:

If a survey was originally published from Connect and I attempted to republish it from the web, would this cause an issue?

As you already surmised, "yes", this will 100% cause issues.

Also, I will need to make further changes to this survey in the future. Does the survey need to be republished each time or just saved?

Make the changes in Connect, save the XLSX and let Connect update. Then, republish from Connect. If you don't press "publish" the changes wont go live.

So long as you don't make any "large" changes--Large changing include changing data types (e.g., text > integer), or add a related table (e.g., add in a repeat)--there will be no issues pushing updates. When you make a large change, Connect will rewrite the entire database which does two things: 1) clears all data in the database, and 2) changes the itemId of the layer (which will impact things like URLs to the survey).

EDIT: Just to be clear, Connect wont just reset your database without warning you. It will be quite obvious when that will happen.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

Did you rename or move files/folders?

AdamTerrell
Emerging Contributor

I had to change ownership of everything related to the survey to my account. I created a Power Automate to notify myself and a few others when a survey has been submitted.

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

Okay, so you took it over from a different publisher then?

You need to transfer all three layers Connect makes (or everything in the folder if there are more layers/attachments) to yourself. Unfortunately, folders are user specific so you will need some coordination there (I don't know of a better way). But these are the minimum:
abureaux_0-1725653504092.png

Then, in Connect, you should see this:

abureaux_1-1725653648038.png

Press the download from cloud button. From there, you can edit and publish like normal.

Is that what you did?

AdamTerrell
Emerging Contributor

I did take over the survey from my predecessor. I have transferred everything I can find related to the survey in Online and Portal to my name (collaboration from online to Portal). I have not been able to find the folder created by the survey. There is now however an empty Collab folder in my folders now.

In Connect I do not see this option mentioned above. It does show up on my test survey.

AdamTerrell_0-1725654828994.png

I created a survey to just see how it behaves. As I am sure you know (but I am limited in my experience) the survey created a Hosted feature layer, report view, and form view. No map.

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

The vertical ellipses means that survey is already local to your machine. If you manually delete the folder from your PC, it will swap back to the cloud image (assuming it is published - if it just disappears from Connect, it's unpublished). If you didn't already know, Connect saves (by default) to this location:

C:\Users\<username>\ArcGIS\My Survey Designs

Anything download from the server will use the ItemId for the folder name, rather than the form name for it's folder. E.g., you may see a mix of items like this:

abureaux_1-1725655577520.png

Easiest way to find a folder for a specific survey is just click the "Files" button in Connect (open the survey in Connect, and then look on the left side for "Files").

Web maps aren't technically required. But they are enabled by default. If you manually change this setting during initial publishing, there is no Web Map. After initial publishing, the only option is "web form".

abureaux_0-1725655480476.png

If someone else published the survey, you wont have a folder in Your Content. I believe they end up in your root folder when you take ownership. I also wouldn't advise moving the files manually. That may lead to odd behaviours.

Honestly, I'd try deleting the local files and re-downloading from the cloud. As long as you own the "Form" and "Feature Layer" (assuming the "Web Map" doesn't exist), you should be fine. If you still have issues, you may need to republish as a fresh item.

abureaux_2-1725657360310.png

AdamTerrell
Emerging Contributor

Thank you for all the information! I have a follow-up question: If a survey was originally published from Connect and I attempted to republish it from the web, would this cause an issue?

I was able to publish from Connect with no problem. Originally, I was attempting this from the web. I don't know how the survey was originally created.

Also, I will need to make further changes to this survey in the future. Does the survey need to be republished each time or just saved?

0 Kudos
AdamTerrell
Emerging Contributor

I believe I just answered my question. Do not know how I did not notice this before.

AdamTerrell_0-1725888150500.png

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

and I attempted to republish it from the web, would this cause an issue?

@AdamTerrell wrote:

If a survey was originally published from Connect and I attempted to republish it from the web, would this cause an issue?

As you already surmised, "yes", this will 100% cause issues.

Make the changes in Connect, save the XLSX and let Connect update. Then, republish from Connect. If you don't press "publish" the changes wont go live.

So long as you don't make any "large" changes--Large changing include changing data types (e.g., text > integer), or add a related table (e.g., add in a repeat)--there will be no issues pushing updates. When you make a large change, Connect will rewrite the entire database which does two things: 1) clears all data in the database, and 2) changes the itemId of the layer (which will impact things like URLs to the survey).

EDIT: Just to be clear, Connect wont just reset your database without warning you. It will be quite obvious when that will happen.

AdamTerrell
Emerging Contributor

I greatly appreciate your time and information provided! Huge help. Thanks.

0 Kudos