Select to view content in your preferred language

Suvery123 GeoPoint Home Extent based on area selected

12-10-2018 10:47 AM
MaazaMekuria
Occasional Contributor

I am using XLSFORM to design a survey with map location information in Survey123.  I would like to set the GeoPoint home extent to be based on selection of an area extent from a list selection for each survey done.  The workflow is to select an area or route and then to zoom to that location based on extent of the selected area or route.  The user can select repeat points along the route or area.  Each time a point is selected I would like to stay in the area where user navigates without refreshing again, if possible.  I find Survey123 always reverts to the Original Home Extent for each click.  That is why I am seeking to change the home extent for each survey.  And changing the home extent will at least keep the person in the relative vicinity of the area/route rather than a large area where the person has no interest.   I find that the repeat points keep the original home extent and one has to work harder to zoom again and again to get to where the selected location is.   I would like to have the area extent change the home extent so the location for selecting sites would be limited within the area/route extent until a new area is selected or the form is submitted.  I have the x,y's for the area/route extents and can make a polygon extent in JSON or or any other combination of coordinate structure. The person doing the survey can be anywhere during the survey and so does not depend on the current location at all. 

Thank you,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Maaza,

How are you having the user select the polygon to set the initial extent?  The simplest way to do this within Survey123 would be to have a select_one with a listing of the areas; either the name value of the list has the coordinates to assign to the map or the name stores a value that can then look up the coordinates in an accompanying CSV file.  The samples 'Calculate Location from a Choice List' and 'Calculate Location from CSV' provide examples of these two patterns.  Note that this will not change the zoom level of the map.

0 Kudos
MaazaMekuria
Occasional Contributor

Aloha, James:

I have the extents already within the data as a GeoJSON and the question is there a way to make the survey location be zoomed in (the geopoint extent zoom) to the particular area extent that I could supply when an area is of interest to the surveyor instead of the default (original) home extent.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Maaza,

Survey123's map location is based on the counterpoint of the map and the zoom level (defined by the form author or manually adjusted).  There currently isn't a way to programmatically set the zoom level, only the centerpoint.

0 Kudos