Survey123 web form not recognizing logged-in user when opened from Field Maps or Dashboard in Chrome (desktop and mobile) and Samsung Internet

04-27-2021 07:38 AM
TylerBragg2
Occasional Contributor II

I have been experiencing a problem with Survey123 not recognizing users as being logged-in in several scenarios.  These surveys have been established and working for more than a year, and this problem has come up in the last few months.  There are two scenarios so far, and they are as follows:

1. I have a several surveys embedded in different dashboards, all of which are configured to open in edit mode within the dashboard.  One example is a Yard Sale Permit.  The survey itself is open to the public, and the public uses this survey to submit an application for a Yard Sale Permit.  The dashboard is for our staff to view the permit information and makes necessary modifications.  In order for the staff to view the dashboard, they must log in to AGOL, then open the dashboard.  The problem is that the embedded survey does not recognize them as being logged in and generates an error that will not allow them to submit edits.  (When a user is logged in, their user name and picture icon is present in the top-right of the survey window, but this is not showing up).  However, if the user opens the survey123 web app from our org's AGOL home page first, the embedded survey loads just fine and will allow them to make edits and submit with no problems.  This was not a problem until just a few months ago.  We are using Windows 10 with the Google Chrome browser.  I haven't tested with other browsers at this time. 
  2. I have a map for use in the Field Maps mobile app, and I've configured the pop-up to contain a link to a survey that opens in the web form in edit mode.  Again, this was working fine with no problems until a few months ago, and now when the user (who is logged into the Field Maps app) launches the survey from the pop-up, they receive an error that they don't have permissions to access the survey.  Again, when this happens, there is no username or picture icon in the upper right of their survey.  However, if you open the browser and go to our org AGOL home page, log in, then launch the survey123 web app, then go back to Field Maps and launch the survey, it functions properly and the survey shows them as being logged in.  I have tested this with Chrome and Samsung Internet and experience the same issue.  

It appears that there is some problem with the user's credentials getting passed to the Survey123 web form in both desktop and mobile environments, and with different browsers.  I've searched the community forum, and have yet to find anyone with this same issue.  I did find a thread that talks about a similar problem and suggests making changes to the Chrome settings for "Same site cookies" and "Preloading pages for faster browsing," but I've tried changing both of those settings to no avail.  Here's the thread: Embedded Survey123 Web Form works for some but not others .  There were two suggestions in this thread, neither of which seem to solve the problem for us.  

I hope I've explained this problem well enough, but I'd be happy to answer any questions that may help to find a solution.  I can also provide some screen shots if needed - I just didn't have them at the time of writing this question.  Thanks. 

Tyler Bragg

7 Replies
TylerBragg2
Occasional Contributor II

I grabbed some screenshots of the errors: 

Below is the error I get when launching the survey from the web map popup that I use in Field Maps.  This is described in item # 2 above.  This was actually generated on the desktop from Map Viewer Classic, but I get the same error when launching it from Field Maps. 

Screenshot2.png

If I simply launch the Survey123 web app from my AGOL home page, shown here:

Screenshot3.png

Then close the survey123 web app, I can successfully launch the survey from the web map popup and access the survey with no problems, shown here:

Screenshot4.png

Notice the Icon and my name in the upper right of the screenshot above.  After I've launched the Survey123 web app from the browser it recognizes me as being logged in and allows me to access the survey.  

I generated these errors from the desktop, but again, I'm getting the same problem from a mobile device.  

0 Kudos
MarkGiesbrecht
New Contributor III

I too, have just hit this wall with an Enterprise 10.8.1 install and Survey123 web form.  Sent it off to local Esri support, and will share back with the details.

MarkGiesbrecht_0-1624390112274.png

0 Kudos
MarkGiesbrecht
New Contributor III

@TylerBragg2  - just found this on my own - 

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000022833

The new method is to use the pulldata() function, rather than property().  I'll try it and will post back

0 Kudos
MarkGiesbrecht
New Contributor III

I was able to get this to work with the new pulldata() function:

concat(format-date(now(), '%y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S'),'-', pulldata("@property", 'username'))

0 Kudos
CaraLeitheiser_usfs
New Contributor

Hi Mark, I am having the same issue as both you and Tyler. Were you able to add that to the survey123 web form or were you working in survey123 connect. I am asking because I am not sure where I would put it in the web form. 

0 Kudos
MarkGiesbrecht
New Contributor III

Hi Cara, I was using the Survey123 Connect app.

0 Kudos
JackFanZhang
Occasional Contributor

I have the similar issue but the in the opposite way. I have a open to public survey which is intended to be used as web form for both internal GIS user and public user. It works fine if the user never logged in Survey123 (for example, no user profile name on the right upper corner of the form), then they can submit. However, if the user has previously logged into Survey123 ( e.g. required for other survey that requires login), then they can't submit and got the permission error.  I have shared the form and backend feature service as Gobal + Portal Group. I would thought for a survey that opens to public/anonymouse, it should have no problem to allow logged-in user to submit? 

0 Kudos