Survey123 web form inconsistently triggering Integromat Webhook

06-05-2019 09:40 PM
PhilipMcCarthy
New Contributor II

Hi All

I have a number of Survey123 forms that I've built and have configured webhooks in Integromat to output submitted data for each into a Google Sheet, and in some cases save submitted photos to Google Drive.

During testing using the Web App, everything worked just fine - data went through the google sheet and photos saved to google drive. I am not using the Field App

However after deploying to users I'm discovering that some of their submitted records don't appear to be triggering the webhooks (happens across multiple forms), though all records are appearing in the 'Data' tab for the form in Survey123.arcgis.com. I can't reproduce the problem, I've arranged for these users to submit test records whilst watching the webhook and it gets triggered ok each time. Everytime I submit a test record it goes through ok.

I've examined the logs for the Integromat webhook, and the missing records do not appear in the history and there are no incomplete executions. Its like the webhook is randomly not getting triggered.

To say this is alarming is an understatement, I have no explanation and the random nature of the issue is making it extremely difficult to resolve. Attached is a screenshot of the 'webhook' section in a Survey123 form that has this issue. I just put in a Microsoft Flow webhook to be notified about any new records so I can see how that service performs.

Thanks, Phil

0 Kudos
18 Replies
PhilipMcCarthy
New Contributor II

Further to my question. I can now reproduce the problem simply by submitting records repeatedly from the online form on my iPhone. I use the same form over and over, with the same data, and some records trigger the webhook, and some don't. There is no rhyme or reason for this pattern. I even have Microsoft Flow triggers setup as well, and it along with Integromat gets triggered inconsistently. Yet all records appear in the 'Data' section in Survey123.com.

The silence here is, deafening, surely someone from ESRI can assist?

Thanks, Phil.

PhilipMcCarthy
New Contributor II

Dear All

For the benefit of anyone else experiencing this problem, I abandoned Survey123 as I could not find a solution to the problem, moved to another online forms provider that works as it should. A real shame, weeks of work down the tube.

Phil

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Philip,

Sorry your first post was missed, and subsequent reply, only just saw this now. As I'm sure you know, we get a lot of new posts and replies every day on GeoNet, so sometimes one or two slip through. However, if the issue is high priority and needs urgent attention, the best avenue is to log a support ticket with Esri Support.

What version of the field app and web app were you using on the devices? Also what make/model and OS version did you see this happen on?

After you added the webhook in Flow and/or Integromat, did you re-download the survey on the device? This is important otherwise the webhook information will be missing.

Have you tried using Charles or Fiddler to analyse the network traffic when you submit, do you see the webhook payload being sent every time, along with the feature payload to ArcGIS? Also did you review the app logs to see if the webhook is actually being sent. It would be good to know where the webhook is going a miss, at the app level or not being received by webhook provider?

We have other customers with surveys that use webhooks that send hundreds and in some cases thousands of surveys a day from the web app and field app, and for each one a webhook also gets sent. Once customer is sending 3,000 a day, all without failure and every feature and webhook being submitted successfully.

It is a shame you decided to abandon Survey123 so quickly, as I am sure we can get the bottom of the issue you are experiencing with webhooks.

If you want to troubleshoot this more, please let me know.

Phil.

0 Kudos
JessieShapiro
New Contributor II

Hi,

Has this issue been resolved? I am also experiencing the same issue. My survey submissions are inconsistently triggering my integromat workflow and I haven't been able to replicate the problem. In my webhook, it doesn't show a survey was submitted but on AGOL, it successfully updates the feature layer. Please let me know what information I can provide. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jessie,

What version of the Survey123 field app are you using? 

There are currently no known issues with webhooks being triggered by the field app or web app on submission. At the same time the data is sent to feature service, the webhook is also sent to webhook provider. Once the webhook is sent, it is up to the webhook provider to receive it and process it and run your workflow.

Do you have a paid Integromat account, for free accounts there are some limitations on the amount of webhooks that can be submitted and how frequently, could this be the issues?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
JessieShapiro
New Contributor II

Thanks for the response Philip. All users are using the latest Survey123 version on their devices. We are currently using the free account with Integromat since we don't hit our data transfer limit each month. Some surveys aren't even found in the Integromat history and don't seem to be triggered by the webhook at all. 

0 Kudos
JessieShapiro
New Contributor II

Hi Philip,

How do I get this issue resolved? Our users are pretty unhappy they don't always get an email notification that a survey was submitted. Do I need to open a case with ESRI? We also tried using zappier and were getting the same inconsistencies. 

0 Kudos
AndreaRyffel
New Contributor II

Hello Jessie,
We use FME Server (not Integromat), but I have encountered submission problems as well: Webhooks are only triggered if the Survey123 form is sent from an Iphone / Ipad. Submitting surveys from Android devices does not trigger the webhook. What devices are you submitting your surveys from? 

Best,

Andrea

0 Kudos
JessieShapiro
New Contributor II

Thanks for your response Andrea. That is really great to know as I have never been able to replicate the problem and I use an iPhone. Users submit surveys from both iPhones and Android devices. 

0 Kudos