Survey123 version 3.10 closing unexpectedly

Jump to solution
08-18-2020 01:19 PM
MattCreaney
Occasional Contributor

A couple of our organisation’s users have had the same issue after upgrading the field app to version 3.10 - which is that now when they open 1 particular survey it immediately shuts the app down.

The survey is large and their devices are fairly old (iPad circa 2014) but prior to version 3.10 there was no issue. In both cases we have gone as far as to factory reset the iPad with no luck.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is there a way to revert back to the previous version? It’s a problem for us since we have already invested a lot in terms of time and licenses to develop our ArcGIS presence, including moving tasks over from different legacy systems.

Any help appreciated

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Matt,

Thanks for sharing the survey. I am able to reproduce the crash using an iPad mini with iOS 12. The same crash does not occur on Windows, Android, macOS and Linux, from my tests across different devices and OS.

We have had reports in the past of other surveys that crash on iOS only when they use a lot of calculations or relevant expressions that link several questions together, often around 10 or more, and then the app crashes on iOS on either load or when you change a value in the chain of linked questions. Looking at your survey it appears to fit this same description.

Can you please log an official bug with Esri support, this will help track and collect additional information and allow us to connect your bug report with our internal development issue.

Please refer to BUG-000108085, BUG-000125015 and BUG-000126685 for more information regarding previously reported iOS only crashes.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Matt,

Can you please share a copy of the xlsx file the survey was created with, and any media files (images, csv etc) in the media folder?

What version of iOS are the iPads running? 

Does the crash happen on other OS with same survey using 3.10, such as Windows or Android?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
MattCreaney
Occasional Contributor

Hi Philip Wilson

They are running iOS 12.3.1 on an MD792X/B iPad.

We have not yet seen this issue on other devices.  Thank you for looking into this.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Matt,

Thanks for sharing the survey. I am able to reproduce the crash using an iPad mini with iOS 12. The same crash does not occur on Windows, Android, macOS and Linux, from my tests across different devices and OS.

We have had reports in the past of other surveys that crash on iOS only when they use a lot of calculations or relevant expressions that link several questions together, often around 10 or more, and then the app crashes on iOS on either load or when you change a value in the chain of linked questions. Looking at your survey it appears to fit this same description.

Can you please log an official bug with Esri support, this will help track and collect additional information and allow us to connect your bug report with our internal development issue.

Please refer to BUG-000108085, BUG-000125015 and BUG-000126685 for more information regarding previously reported iOS only crashes.

Regards,

Phil.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @MattCreaney,

Just letting you know we have recently updated the 3.14 beta builds on the Early Adopter Community and the next release will include major improvements to the expression calculation engine, new calculation modes, improvements to loading relevant questions and repeats, and other fixes to repeats, nested repeats and repeat count. With these improvements we see faster loading surveys, increased stability, less crashes and ability to optimize calculation workflows.

The issue you reported above with crashes on iOS when using complex calculations has been resolved in the latest 3.14 beta builds.

Please refer to this blog post for more details: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/arcgis-survey123-3-14-beta-now-available-for/ba-...

Direct link to EAC announcement: https://earlyadopter.esri.com/project/article/item.html?cap=e69ef91f45744b98882c651f7b518eb7&arttype...

Regards,

Phil.

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

I am running into this issue today, and the situation you described seems to match mine (a large survey with lots of JavaScript expressions and other calculations.)

It's crashing on version 3.13.246 of the field app on iOS. I got the survey to open successfully on version 3.13.234 of the field app on my Android phone. 

So are you basically saying this is a known bug that won't be fixed until the 3.14 release? Do you know when that will be? 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos