Survey123 URL return to previous app

02-13-2020 05:34 AM
BenjaminSperry1
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I believe there is a way to return to the previous app once a survey is submitted from a custom URL, but I can't find any documentation on this. Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

Also, and less important, is there a way to automatically submit a survey without having to click submit? And is there a way to build this into a URL?

For context:

I have a map in Explore that directs workers to service points, each service point has a custom url that includes values to populate the survey. There is no need for the worker to enter any additional information into the survey. Once they submit the survey I would like it to return to the Explorer (or collector) app so they can see the next service point.

thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Benjamin,

Callback support is not yet present in the Survey123 field app.  You generally can get back to the originating app by pressing on the link in the upper left (iOS) or the back button (Android).

0 Kudos
BenjaminSperry1
Occasional Contributor

Hi James,

Thank you for your response, that is good to know.

0 Kudos
BenjaminSperry1
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I finally found the documentation on this.

It seemed to work just fine for me. After I submitted the survey it went strait back to Collector.

LiamHarrington-Missin
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @BenjaminSperry1 ,

Don't suppose you could share the url construct so I can see how you put it all together.  Obviously remove the itemID if confidential.

@JamesTedrick any Geonet top tips/deep dive articles planned in the future to cover this?  Its really useful for those of us who are bouncing our workflows around different apps.  

Liam
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
DuncanWijker
Esri Contributor

Hi Liam, here is an example of a url that works for me. I used it to navigate from Field Maps to a specific Survey. After submitting the form, back again to Field Maps using the callback option

arcgis-survey123://?itemID=bdca71984d4c45468d0a8861a08xxxx&callback=arcgis-fieldmaps://957a037b667c445caf1e9c7d3a4xxxxx

MeghJones
New Contributor III

Hi Duncan,

Where exactly do you place the callback url within the S123 Connect form? In the the submission URL field? I am attempting to re-enter the workforce mobile application from S123 once an inspection is submitted. 

In addition, how do I obtain the field app url? does this derive from the project ID online?

Thank you in advance!! @DuncanWijker  @JamesTedrick 

0 Kudos
DuncanWijker
Esri Contributor

Hi @MeghJones I think you are using the built in option in the Workforce project by selecting your survey under: Advanced > App integration > Survey123. Correct? In that case the fieldworker uses a preconfigured button in his Workforce app to open the related survey form you linked.

The options above with custom parameters only apply when you manually configure a URL to open Survey 123. So this would be a url you click on, for example from a popup in the Collector app. This allows you to control various parameters, for example what info is pre-filled. But also what to do after the form is submitted (the callback parameter).

In the case of the built in integration between Worforce and Survey123, you don not press a url. You can only press that button in the app that is pre-configured for you. It re-directs the worker to the form you chose. I dont think you have control over the callback option under this button (this is where the callback should have to be built in). 

I just checked to see if using the built in app integration returns me to the Workforce app after submitting a Survey123 form. Unfortunately it does not. I suggest to submit this to Esri support to double check if this is expected behavior. (I would sure be a good enhacement to the app)

Hope this helps. 

0 Kudos
MeghJones
New Contributor III

Hi @DuncanWijker Thank you for explaining and looking into this!! It is unfortunate it cannot be easily configured, but good to understand what is happening. 

I have a meeting with the Esri Professional Services team today actually to discuss advanced Workforce customization/capabilities and will check with them in addition to Support. 

0 Kudos
MJBiazar
Esri Contributor

Hi @MeghJones , Although Workforce allows certain configuration for the integration URL through the web app, you can modify the integrated URLs for any of the apps that your Workforce project is integrated with by editing the "Assignment Integrations"  table in the hosted feature layer for your project.

In this case, to add a callback parameter to the URL to return to Workforce app after submitting the form in Survey123 app, you can append "&callback=https://workforce.arcgis.app" to the URL.

2022-02-17_15-47-58.jpg

Best,

MJ

0 Kudos