Survey123 thumbnail doesn't download to mobile device

02-19-2018 04:28 PM
ShanaGail1
Occasional Contributor

When users download my Survey to a mobile device from AGOL, my custom thumbnail doesn't come down with it.  It's the default thumbnail instead.  I can see it in the Form in Survey123 Connect, and it is visible in AGOL also.  My coworker had this randomly happen with a different survey.  I've republished multiple times to no avail.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Shana,

We have an open issue in our backlog for this behaviour, I have updated the issue with your comments.

As a workaround, if the user completely uninstalls the Survey123 app and re-installs Survey123 app from app store, then downloads the survey again, do they see the correct thumbnail?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
ShanaGail1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Philip,

Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately, the workaround wasn't successful.  Is this bug fix slated for a release anytime soon?

Shana

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Shana,

What device, OS version and app version are you using? You may need to clear the app data (delete any cached files/folders the app uses on device which may contain the thumbnails).

At this stage there is no definitive time frame for a bug fix for this issue.

Phil.

0 Kudos
ShanaGail1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Philip,

I apologize for the delayed response to your question.  The Survey I'm working on now didn't have the problem, and I was using the identical iOS and software versions as before and hadn't cleared the app data... thus the conversation fell off my radar.  I've since upgraded, but I believe I was using 2.5.44 at the time.  I've been using iPads and iPhones. To be honest I've been working with several devices with varying versions and I don't know what I was using at the time I posted this.  If I see this problem flare up again I will make a note of the iOS version here.

Thanks,

Shana

AlecioO_Day2
New Contributor

Hi Phillip,

I also ran into this issue where in downloading the Survey to the device I see the dialog box text  "Thumbnail is downloading". This spins incessantly while I other Surveys without a thumbnail download instantly. I am using a Samsung Tab Active2 with Android 7.1.1 and Survey123 version 3.0.149 . I tried on four separate devices (all same specs), clearing the cache and uninstalling&reinstalling, all with similar results. In all cases, the Survey was not available/visible for data collection, although the cloud Sync icon was present for that specific Survey (as opposed to the download icon). My workaround was to re-publish an identical Survey without a thumbnail. I was then able to download and use the Survey. Most interesting is that the original form had already been downloaded to the device with thumbnail present, but when taken offline the Survey became unavailable/missing from the device. It was only when re-downloading this Survey did I encounter the thumbnail issue.

Thanks for any insight,

alecio

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Alecio,

We have been working to resolve this issue in the next version of Survey123.  Can I ask that you join the Early Adopter Program and see if the available version of Survey123 there resolves the issue?

0 Kudos
AlecioO_Day2
New Contributor

James,

Sure, thanks for passing that on. Will get back with any results.

alecio 

0 Kudos
AimeeZarzynski
New Contributor II

Hi, I am also experiencing this problem with 8 surveys that we just published. Happened with the last 2 surveys published as well (a couple of months ago). Any update on this fix? I am working with a samsung galaxy tab, it works fine on my ios device....

0 Kudos
AimeeZarzynski
New Contributor II

Update: deleting app and re downloading did work