Survey123 Questions Limit?

Jump to solution
02-07-2022 10:16 AM
Michael_VanHatten
New Contributor III

I have created a survey with quiet a lot of questions. In survey123 connect there are 858 fields in my survey123. The issue I am having is that after I publish the survey and try to submit a test record (either on the computer or through mobile app) I get a error message "database error has occurred". I have done some research and I am sure that the feature service is correct and works. The survey has two parts and I have tried to split the survey into two separate surveys, when I do this and republish separately, I get no errors when submitting. I have found that a survey should be able to handle 1,024 columns (including system fields). Everything works well on survey123 connect and everything publishes without error, it is only at submission that I get any errors. 

Has anyone had this issue before or found a "limit" to survey123 questions? For reference I am using Survey123 Connect 3.13.251, and publishing to my enterprise account and I am on enterprise 10.8.1

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Nothing big jumps out but I have some ideas.

In fields like building_average_condition you have decimal math but then have a string length of 2.  This number will prob be bigger than that.  I am thinking you may have wanted to bind to decimal instead?  Or is just a leftover.  But for sure that string will be more than 2.

I have had issue before with items over 32 chars.  I think it was the table names but you have some field names almost this big.  Again should be ok just a guess.

Edit looks like AGOL is 30 for a column name?   https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/manage-db2/enterprise-geodatabase-li... 

You have the strings set to 8000 chars.  I think that is ok but I would test a smaller number just to make sure.

Sorry all I got.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

I had issues with a survey crashing because it had so many calculations in it. I tried out the Beta release of v3.14 for the Survey123 field app, and it fixed the issue. 

I know the situation is a little different, but I wonder if you'll have the same luck with a simple version update? (you'd have to get signed up for the Beta program in this case)

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
Michael_VanHatten
New Contributor III

I do have a lot of calculations (all the same but repeated for each question) in my survey. Did your calculations still work while filling out the survey? Was it only at submission you got errors?

Thanks for the reply

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

I couldn't even get that far, when I tried to open the field app on iOS, it crashed immediately. On Android it would open at least and things seemed to work ok (if I remember correctly), but the survey took a few minutes just to open.

Apparently with version 3.14 of field app, they've implemented updates that "optimize the way that complex calculations are handled" so it is much quicker with large/complex surveys. Like I said, I can't be exactly sure it's related at all to what you're experiencing but wanted to share just in case!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That almost sounds like you are using some reserved words as field names.  Or maybe trying to bind the wrong field types.   

Really need to post the form to see.

0 Kudos
Michael_VanHatten
New Contributor III

Hi Doug,

I have attached the form below, let me know if you find any issues that I am not seeing. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Nothing big jumps out but I have some ideas.

In fields like building_average_condition you have decimal math but then have a string length of 2.  This number will prob be bigger than that.  I am thinking you may have wanted to bind to decimal instead?  Or is just a leftover.  But for sure that string will be more than 2.

I have had issue before with items over 32 chars.  I think it was the table names but you have some field names almost this big.  Again should be ok just a guess.

Edit looks like AGOL is 30 for a column name?   https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/manage-db2/enterprise-geodatabase-li... 

You have the strings set to 8000 chars.  I think that is ok but I would test a smaller number just to make sure.

Sorry all I got.

Michael_VanHatten
New Contributor III

You nailed it, restricting the string to only 2 was throwing off the form. I had setup that limit early on and did not apply it to the whole survey. I removed the limit and lower the 8000 character count as that was unnecessary. 

I did go through everything to make sure there were no items of 32 chars as well and all is well. So amny little things its easy to miss. 

Thanks for the help!