survey123 new bug with note type with a pulldata in the calculation field

Jump to solution
07-12-2019 01:31 PM
FlorenceRaimbault
New Contributor III

I have a survey which I've been using in the IOs app and android app. In my survey I had 3 "questions" with the NOTE type. The notes were linked with a select to give more information about the selection. To select the text to show in the note I was using a pulldata with a csv. The csv contain the text with javascrip/html text format. It was working perfectly fine. But with the latest release of survey123 (3.5.164) the pulldata in the note in my survey doesn't work anymore. The only way to show the text in the note is to create a field for each note, but I don't need it and don't want it. Why isn't working anymore?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Florence

Thanks for providing your demo survey. This issue has already been identified and we're looking into it - I will endeavour to keep this thread updated with any progress.

A workaround in the meantime is to add a name (in the name column) for each note question. Please give it a try and let me know if this works for you.

Thanks & regards,

Jim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Florence

Thanks for providing your demo survey. This issue has already been identified and we're looking into it - I will endeavour to keep this thread updated with any progress.

A workaround in the meantime is to add a name (in the name column) for each note question. Please give it a try and let me know if this works for you.

Thanks & regards,

Jim

0 Kudos
FlorenceRaimbault
New Contributor III

Thank Jim

Like I write earlier if I add a name in the name column, Survey123 connect create a field and I don't want that because the string in my note is close to 500 characters.

I will wait for the next realease.

0 Kudos
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Florence, you should be able to overcome this by adding null to the bind::esri:fieldType column for the note questions. This will omit these questions from the feature service. Please find more info here:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/esricustomcolumns.htm

Hope this helps,

Jim

0 Kudos
FlorenceRaimbault
New Contributor III

Thank Jim

I had already tried this solution but I was using an old version of the spreadsheet without the bind::esri:fieldType column and the "null" condition wasn't working with the old "esriFieldTypeString" column

Now it's working perfectly, no new field added.

Thank again.

I have another question that arises from this error:

Is there a way to easily know that there is a new version of the spreadsheet?

In the survey123 connect I suppose that the models in the "new survey" button always shows the last version of the spreadsheet. I suggest you add an information about the spreadsheet version somewhere in the excel spreadsheet for example in the "type" tab and somewhere in the "new survey" choice in Survey123 connect.

This information could avoid many mistakes for all the community

Thank again

Florence

0 Kudos
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Florence

Great to hear it's working well!

I'm not sure how esriFieldTypeString ended up as the column header in your XLSForm; the bind::esri:fieldType column has always been part of the advanced template so perhaps it got overwritten somehow.

You're correct, the latest version of each template is always available from the New Survey dialog in Connect, and the date a template was last updated is displayed here too:

The templates are provided as a guide/starting point and once downloaded they can be altered to suit your needs (for example, removing irrelevant columns, shading cells to help with design, etc.), so we don't include the template version/date in the XLSForm itself.

Best regards,

Jim

0 Kudos
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Florence

Just a note to confirm that this was fixed in version 3.5, as mentioned here (BUG-000123822). Thanks again for reporting it!

Best,

Jim

0 Kudos