Survey123 multiple_select question

02-07-2018 12:02 PM
RichardGlass
New Contributor II

I have a question in my survey that asks users for a particular activity(select_one) I would like the following question to allow the user to select multiple answers (select multiple) based on the input of the previous question. The survey works if the select type is select_one but disappears if it is set to select_multiple.

ie I would like the user to select animal or plant pests then allow the user to select multiple types of animals or plants based on the previous input. See attached image

0 Kudos
8 Replies
TiffanyRufo
Occasional Contributor II

You could accomplish this using the relevant field. If the select one = Animal pest control the select multiple question will appear. If the select one = plant pest control the plant select multiple will appear. 

For the relevant question to work you would need to have a select one question that would lead to the select multiple. I am not sure how you would get it to select multiple and show a multiple select question based on those but someone else may know!

0 Kudos
TiffanyRufo

In the line for the Multiple select  question under relevant you would put ${labelofselectone}='select one choice'

so if my select one question was Activity and the choices were animal, plant and fish  I would put ${Activity}='plant' in the relevant field of the select multiple plant_species question. That would cause the multiple choice question of plant species to pop up after plant was chosen in the single choice question.

(my attempt at explaining without visual aids. I apologize if that was unclear/confusing) 

0 Kudos
RichardGlass
New Contributor II

Thanks For that Tiffiany, have a look at the images first one is a select_one second is select_multiple. The options disappear. All I have done is change the select mode in the type column. The survey has a choice filter of control=${Activity} where the control is a column categorizing the pest. ie plant, animal etc etc.I want to select more than one pest but not have a variety of list name.

0 Kudos
TiffanyRufo

hmmm. I see what you mean now. I was able to reproduce this same problem. The cascading select works perfectly if it is a select one question that follows but if you change it fails to show any choices at all no matter what you select. 

My guess is that the choice filter/cascading selects do not support the Select_Multiple. There could be another work around but the way I described above is the only way I know of to set up such a thing. However it does leave the dataset with a lot of blanks if you forget to set default answers. 

Hopefully someone has a better answer for you. I apologize for being so unhelpful! But at least I could reproduce the same.

0 Kudos
TiffanyRufo

Yup. This post is from July of 2017: Using choice_filter with a select_multiple question.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You are correct that you cannot do a choice filter on a multiple choice question, however, there is a work around that will achieve the same result.

• Create several multiple choice questions, with the filtered answers based on the a previous question.
  • Set the relevance on those multiple select questions based on the previous question.
  • Set the data type of the several multiple choice questions to null
  • Have a hidden field with an IF Statement in the calculation to pull in the data from the multiple select questions

Attached is a quick example to demonstrate. 

RichardGlass
New Contributor II

Thanks for that Nikholai - one question how is the final field actually concatenating the choices together.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I believe it adds them together just like a normal multiple choice question does with the answers separated by a comma. 

0 Kudos