A field user notified me of an interesting error and sent me images of one of our surveys we are using on a tablet. His questions, single choice grids with three options of Pass, Fail, NA and then measuring between 1 or 12 of the choices by topic, have disappeared and the survey itself has gone from 4 to 12 pages in length without edits to the pages or survey. There are no unauthorized edits that we can find, and so I am turning to the Survey123 community for insight and direction, especially if it a bug.
The single choice grids are not on his survey when he loads them in anymore as of this afternoon, and now 8 blank pages have generated totaling 12 blank pages to his 4 page document, (Intro, Site Information, Site Questions, Signatures Pages). Only 1000 character text boxes are showing now after restarting, refreshing, checking updates, and now uninstalling and reinstalling everything, respectively in that order. We've tried clearing any local or temporary caches now and desktop surveys now load appropriately but tablets still have the error of disappearing questions and new blank pages. Any information or related posts are greatly appreciated, I checked elsewhere on the blogs and documentation but couldn't find an answer.
Can you confirm what exact version of the field app is being used (see Settings -> About screen). Does this only happen on one device, or many other devices? What is the device make/model and OS version?
Do you see same issue in Connect when preview the survey, or just in field app? Does the survey use grid-theme layouts?
Are you able to share the XLSForm and media folder, so we can take a closer look?
Hi @Philip-Wilson ,
the surveys are all in 3.13, however I am unsure the make and model of the tablets being used. Currently it was only for one device and one login but this team has 5 members with all the same device and level of user login settings and capabilities. The devices are new within the past 12 months. The survey is being pulled from Survey123 desktop origin, not a connect survey, and the issue was on both mobile app and desktop. The user who alerted me said he purged his local and temp caches, restarted, uninstalled and reinstalled everything on both tablet and desktop and it only resolved on desktop. My previews and tests are fine, all questions and fields load in fine, but the one user is having issues with no further comment or issue from other users.
I am not sure how or if I am allowed to share the XLSForm/media folder under current organization rules for sensitive survey info/questions, but I do know that no ESRI or Survey123 errors have been logged or noted on any device, login, or app survey in regards to this or any other survey currently that we use. The field user has been using a web login to field the surveys since and has not had issue using mobile wifi.
Hope this helps narrow down the issue, thanks for replying so soon. I hadn't thought to provide that specific info for bug issues or known issues so I will earmark that for later posts. 🙂
Many thanks & God bless,
What did you mean by "The field user has been using a web login to field the surveys"? Are they using the survey123 field app or web app in a browser?
Can you confirm the exact version you published the survey with from Survey123 Connect, and also the exact version of the field app?
If you are using the web app, is version locking enabled for this survey in the Survey123 website, or does it always use latest?
Can you share any screenshots or videos of the behaviour?
If you can not share the survey and information on this post, are you able to send me a private message or email? Otherwise I woudl suggest to log a support issue with Esri Support via your account. This will keep the shared information private and confidential.
Without seeing the XLSForm and associated media files, it will be hard to troubleshoot this further.
Hi @Philip-Wilson ,
My field user is using Chrome or Firefox to use the surveys in the field until his app version can be fixed, which now is the only one with this behavior. Connect hasn't been used to make or edit the surveys, the app was published in 3.12 but was able to update to 3.13 with no issues. All my users' apps and surveys have 3.13 which we confirmed recently. We set everything to use latest version in July. I was able to edit the pictures to maintain the survey anonymity. First two images are of the errors as was sent to me and the third image is what it should look like. There are also address, signature, text notes, and other kinds of questions involved that also disappeared. I haven't heard from my field users this morning yet but will check in as I can to see if anything has changed. Hopefully the pictures help some.
As to the XLSForm and media files, I will inquire on how I can share this when I have a moment to best resolve this. I may DM you with the XLSForm as pulled from connect when I can, I have to go myself to work on another project in the meantime. Please let me know what else I can do to check or resolve this, eager to learn what it is.