Survey123 Feature Reporting- insert page break?

09-16-2020 01:12 PM
JonahW
by
New Contributor III

I am trying to figure out if there is away to use page break or section break in Word to separate individual items within a repeat and have them show on a new page. I have a survey set up for our hydrant inspections. There is a repeat set up that cycles through all the hydrants within a flushing zone. I want to create a report that shows only those hydrants where damage was reported during flushing, but I would like each hydrant to show up on a new page. I have tried to insert a "page break" in several places but can't get it right. I believe the page break would have to be somewhere within the conditional statement, otherwise I get blank pages after every hydrant within the flushing zone. However, I either get an extra blank page at the beginning of the report or at the end depending on whether the insert page break is at the beginning of the if statement or at the end.  

Here is a what the template looks like. I am very new to this, so it might not be the cleanest report... And attached is the sample report generated from this template. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BarbaraWebster1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Alina,

One approach to this would be to create a section within the feature report template that will use an if statement to only show the first repeat and a second section that will use an if statement to show the rest of the repeats along with a page break before each one.

To create an index of the repeats that the if statement can reference, you would need to create a repeat counter field that will keep track of the repeat index. See this post for more info on creating a repeat counter field: https://community.esri.com/thread/220041-how-to-assign-each-repeat-group-within-a-repeat-a-number-la....

Note - In an upcoming release Survey123, it will be possible to return the repeat index automatically. This functionality is currently available on the beta version of the Survey123 website, which is accessible through the Survey123 Early Adopter Community

0 Kudos
JonahW
by
New Contributor III

Hi Barbara,

Thank you for the suggestion. I happen to already have a counter set up in this survey so I've been trying to figure out how to set it up. I have it working right now, but it occurred to me that if the first hydrant in the repeat(so counter=1) does not have any damage reported, then I'll end up with a blank page at the beginning. I think what I need is a counter that keeps track of the hydrants with damage, so I can have a section for the first damaged hydrant and then a section for all the rest. Unless there is another place to add the "if counter" statement that I'm not thinking about? Unfortunately we just went live with the survey today so I can't add more fields to my form but I will try it once this round is complete. 

Alina 

0 Kudos
BarbaraWebster1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Alina,

I think you are correct that adding the separate counter for damaged hydrants is the best approach in this case.

Thanks,
-Barbara

0 Kudos
acatbyanyothername
New Contributor II

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but any insight on how to just add a page break in between survey sections for feature reporting? I don't need it in the context of a repeat, I just want to make sure that certain questions have their own page.

CyndyJBresloff
New Contributor II

Late to the party, here; but I wanted to bump this up; I have the same issue as acatbyanyothername.  Using page breaks in MS Word 'breaks' my working Survey Report Template (it publishes, but the generated report drops things out.) 

0 Kudos