Survey123 duplicates response options upon updates. Reverts when survey deleted and redownloaded.

12-06-2022 11:08 AM
PGGIS
by
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am working on developing a survey within Survey123 for interview style responses.  The survey is complete and operates as desired, but we have noticed that when we publish an updated form, many of our options then will display as duplicates.  For example, one of the first fields is a select_one option between four languages.  The survey should display the four options, but when this error occurs, it displays eight options, with each of the options listed twice.

When the survey is deleted from the device and re-downloaded, this error is no longer manifest.  

This survey will be disseminated to a number of users with a number of devices, and the updates that we must provide are inevitable.  

Have anybody an idea of what could be causing this?  It seems to impact select_multiple and select_one fields.

Any advice would be appreciated.  I am happy to provide more information or screenshots if helpful.

Thank you.

8 Replies
PGGIS
by
New Contributor II

Example screenshots below... Error occurs within multiple view styles of select_one select_multiple questions.

PGGIS_0-1670360724324.pngPGGIS_1-1670360734491.png

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

I don't exactly have a solution for this, but are you using the most up-to-date version of S123 Connect?

I ran into this problem a lot in the past, but the newest version of Connect seems to do a lot better with updating lists.

For me, this typically happened when a list's name was changed, but not always. It was honestly difficult to deal with and troubleshoot. I had a few calls with Esri, but we couldn't pin down the exact cause. In some cases, I had to either recreate a list with a different list_name, or swap to an External Select. External Selects seemed to be the easiest solution for me at least when this happened.

0 Kudos
JadeWeideman
New Contributor II

UPDATED:
I get the same behavior (likert scale and dropdowns). Deleting and redownloading forms from the S123 app fixes it for a while but eventually it happens again. 

JadeWeideman_0-1685505455481.png
Connect version used to publish: 3.17.55

Survey123 app (Windows) version: 3.17.68

Interesting fix/workaround:

Seems to only affect select_one questions that are numeric. Example:

JadeWeideman_0-1686546774036.png

Creating an external choice list (select_one_from_file) works as a workaround.

0 Kudos
MJB
by
New Contributor

I'm seeing the same. What I'm noticing is that, during publishing, a dialog pops up telling me that my survey "contains choices that are not found in the existing feature service". But then shows a table of these choices, most (but strangely not all) of which are marked as "This action will result in duplicate domain labels".  Color me confused!

0 Kudos
DataOfficer
Occasional Contributor III

I am also experiencing the same issue. A select_multiple question with only two choices, but when republished now shows each of the two options repeated 5 times.

DataOfficer_0-1694776584558.png

Did anyone manage to track down the cause or a permanent solution?

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

I've been noticing this start to happen again recently as well.

Unlike the first time this happened, I noticed it in the Field App and Connect.

0 Kudos
EleanorDhuyvetter
New Contributor II

This is occurring with a form we made ~4 years ago. Its operational, so I really don't want to break it (especially since double answers could effect the data I would think). I am kind of at a loss, we have been making copies of the form and trying to recreate the warning but the copies I make are fine and publish smoothly. What is really weird too is that the existing label column its comparing against has no data in it (see image). I want to chalk it up to version updates and stuff but the copy I made works just fine if I don't update it to the newest version or if I do. If anyone has suggestions of a fix that will honor the survey's existing FL connections and data I am all ears 

EleanorDhuyvetter_0-1707785978548.png

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Your issue is likely different from what's described here since you are seeing this warning:

abureaux_0-1707786622170.png

The bug described here is more of a "visual" bug that results in 2 (or sometimes 3, 4, 5, etc.) copies of list items.

I'd suggest making a new post (and potentially including your XLSX).

Here is a list of a few items to take care of first before tackling issues like this:

1. Ensure Connect is up to date (Also, install the Windows Store version so it auto-updates in the future)
  2. Update your XLSX Form to the most recent version (Connect can do this for you now)
  3. Run the "Analyze survey" tool in Connect and address all points listed