Survey123 default date format

08-08-2018 11:03 PM
NaomiBegg2
Occasional Contributor III

Here I am with yet another date format issue.

I have a date question in my survey.  I have asked for the appearance to be Day, month and year. I would like to have the submitting date as my default.

Sounds great ... BUT the default date is coming up in the American format rather than the common format for my region.  This will lead to confusion for whoever uses the survey thinking they are entering the wrong date and therefore the survey will not be used.

Within our organisation settings we have specified our region.  It would be great if it would pick up this and use an appropriate date format (or even a global standard).

Is there anyway I can fix this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Naomi,

Are you using the web form?  If so, this is an issue we are looking to address in a future release of Survey123 by displaying the appropriate format for based on the user's locale.

NaomiBegg2

Hi James

Yes I was using the web form.  Yay this is a huge issue for us non Americans that really restrict the ability to roll out surveys (and editing apps) to our non technical population.

Is the web form looking like it will get on par with connect soon?

Thanks, Naomi

0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Naomi,

Can you please specify which region/locale and what the expected date format do you want to use?

0 Kudos
NaomiBegg2

Hi Zhifang 

I am from New Zealand so day/month/year is our preferred date format.

Even the international date format standard (ISO 8601) would be a more acceptable default rather than pushing everyone to use the American format. 

0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Naomi,

Thanks for the feedback. 

Currently, the date format in Survey123 website or the web app/form is determined by the following order which is consitent with ArcGIS Online:

1. If the user has signed in, will use the locale set in the user profile
  2. If the user has not signed in, will use the locale set in the org which the survey belongs to
  3. If the user has not signed in and no default locale specified in the org which the survey belongs to, will use the browser's locale

For the locale setting of the org or user profile in ArcGIS Online, currently, New Zealand date/number format is not supported, hence, will fall back to the United States (en-US) format. If the language is English, you can set the date and number format for Australia, Great Britain, Canada, or the United States. See Set language and region—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS for details. The most similar one is the Australia date/number format.

However, we did found a bug that Survey123 website/web app does not respect the date/number format if it's supported in ArcGIS Onlilne, such as Australia date/number format. I've logged an issue in our dev repo to fix it in a future release.

Please let us know if you have any other question.

0 Kudos
NaomiBegg2

Surely there must be a way to connect us to our nearest neighbours Australia for date formats? Or even connect us to the UK for dates ... anything would be better than America (nothing against them ... they just do things funny  ).  

What effect would it have on other things if we did change our organisation settings to pretend to be in Australia - hmm basemaps would change.  As this date issue is a pretty major thing if we are wanting our non technical staff to be using the likes of Survey123.

0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Changing the number/date format in org/account settings (e.g. to Australia) not only affects Survey123 (it will actually not work due to the bug) but also other apps in ArcGIS Platform, such as Map Viewer, Web AppBuilder app, please evaluate if it's feasible to do so. However, seems the underlying solution is to suggest ArcGIS Online add support for number/date format for New Zealand too.

0 Kudos
RachelS

Has this bug been resolved? I have the Date and Number format set to Great Britain and it's still coming up as American format on the Survey123 form.

ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Rachel, 

Not yet, you can track the status of this bug in BUG-000117569: Survey123 for ArcGIS surveys with internationally fo.. .

Thanks,

Zhifang

0 Kudos