Survey123 Connect - sqlite recovery iOS

Jump to solution
01-03-2020 08:16 AM
John_RMellor__GISP
Occasional Contributor

I have version 3.7.60. 

I am testing how to recover the sqlite file from an iOS mobile device (an iPad) and open it on desktop.  I have seen the document for recovering the data from the mobile device.  There is a statement in the documentation about where to find the file on the mobile device (see attached).  I can't seem to find the file on the mobile device, any help would be appreciated. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

As the documentation mentions, in order to access files on an iOS device you need to use iTunes or similar software (iExplorer; if you have a computer with macOS 10.15 Catalina, you now use the Finder).  If using iTunes:

1) Plug the iOS device in to the computer; this should launch iTunes

2) If prompted on the iOS device, allow the computer to access the files on the iOS device

3) In iTunes, click on the device button located in the top of the application.  This will open up the iOS device's page

4) In the device page, click on 'File Sharing'.  This will show a list of applications.  Select Survey123 (you may need to scroll through the list of applications if it's not visible immediately).

5) With Survey123 selected, select the 'ArcGIS' folder in the right column and then click 'Save As'.  Select a location on your computer to save the directory.

You will now have the data stored by Survey123.  The sqlite file will be in ArcGIS -> My Surveys -> Databases

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JamesTedrick

As the documentation mentions, in order to access files on an iOS device you need to use iTunes or similar software (iExplorer; if you have a computer with macOS 10.15 Catalina, you now use the Finder).  If using iTunes:

1) Plug the iOS device in to the computer; this should launch iTunes

2) If prompted on the iOS device, allow the computer to access the files on the iOS device

3) In iTunes, click on the device button located in the top of the application.  This will open up the iOS device's page

4) In the device page, click on 'File Sharing'.  This will show a list of applications.  Select Survey123 (you may need to scroll through the list of applications if it's not visible immediately).

5) With Survey123 selected, select the 'ArcGIS' folder in the right column and then click 'Save As'.  Select a location on your computer to save the directory.

You will now have the data stored by Survey123.  The sqlite file will be in ArcGIS -> My Surveys -> Databases

0 Kudos
roemhildtg
Occasional Contributor III

James Tedrick‌ is there an easy way to have users access the log file in survey123 and email it? We have dozens of remote workers who are using ipads and don't have easy access to a laptop/itunes so we really need a way to be able to share diagnostics information for troubleshooting and recovery. 

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Gregg,

Accessing the logs currently requires a separate computer to access the files.

0 Kudos
John_RMellor__GISP
Occasional Contributor

James Tedrick‌ - Thank you - this worked exactly as how you described it. Now all I have to do if figure out how to open the sqlite file.    

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
DavidCook2
New Contributor III

Hi James - i am looking at the GitHub SQLite Covert script https://github.com/tedrick/ReadS123DB/blob/repeats/readDb.py 

I am unable to get it to work in my environment. is this functional for python 3.7 or still in development?

thanks!

0 Kudos
MichelleWilliamsERM
Occasional Contributor III

WOW - I love the Python script. All I had to do was drop the .sqlite file into the folder with your script, and make an out folder for the csv. THANK YOU so much!

0 Kudos