Select to view content in your preferred language

Survey123 calculate field and manual entry

08-05-2020 10:26 PM
AdrianDoss
New Contributor III

I have a Survey123 form on which I have a barcode field. I'm using a QR code with multiple pieces of data encoded into the QR code.

When someone scans the QR code, I want to break the data up into separate fields and populate those fields.

However, if there is no QR code to scan, I want the user to be able to enter those fields manually.

Can a field both be calculated and allow manual entry?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Adrian,

Yes, this is possible. You can have the user scan a barcode and populate additional text fields, and if they are blank, the user can still type into those text fields.

To do this I would suggest you use a barcode question type with minimal appearance. This will show the barcode scanning icon, but not the input text box associated with it. All of the values returned from the barcode will go into this input text field that is not visible. From there, you can have additional text questions that use calculations to pull out the bits you want into the separate text questions that are visible. If they are not populated the user can then simply type into them as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Phil. 

AdrianDoss
New Contributor III

Thanks Phil

That's perfect - I have it working. Thanks for the quick reply.

Cheers

Adrian

HeathAnderson
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Adrian,

I am working on something very similar using the PDF417 barcode.  What calculation or .js did you use to calculate your individual text fields.  I am struggling with this calculation.  

Best,

Heath

0 Kudos