Survey Thumbnail

09-20-2019 12:39 AM
EricArmitage
New Contributor II

How do I add a survey thumbnail in Connect?  I can preview it under the settings - general tab but when I publish the survey it goes back to the default.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Eric,

What version of survey123 Connect you are using? And where are you seeing the default thumbnail with your survey?

After publishing the survey, the thumbnail should be seen from the field app download page, or the content page in Survey123 Connect(My Survey Designs) page. You will have to download the survey again to see the update thumbnail though (click the circle icon on the upper right coner of the survey).

EricArmitage
New Contributor II

Hi

Its version 3.5.166.  This is the view before adding thumbnail

Preview before adding thumbnail

This is the preview with thumbnail before publication.

Preview after adding thumbnail photo

This is the overview after publication in Connect.  And obviously there is no thumbnail when it is downloaded to the phone.

View after publication

0 Kudos
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Eric,

I tried v.3.5.166 but could not repro the issue. I was able to see the thumbnail image after re-publish the survey. What image type/file size did you use to set your thumbnail?

0 Kudos
EricArmitage
New Contributor II

Its only 117 kb.  I've noticed that the download icon is constantly on for this survey in Connect and doesn't go off if I download again to the PC (see image above)  . Maybe that is related to the issue.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Eric,

Are you using AGO or Portal/Enterprise, if so what version?

Based on the AGO documentation for item thumbnails here is the recommended details:

Images must be in PNG, GIF, JPEG, or BMP format; the image file will be converted to JPEG format before it is stored within the item's metadata. The recommended image size is 200 pixels wide by 133 pixels high.

Another thing to note is the image name and extension should be all lowercase (ie. myimage.jpg). We have seen issues before where uppercase or special characters in the name or extension can cause issues in Connect and the field app.

Phil.

EricArmitage
New Contributor II

Hi Phil

Still no luck.  I renamed the file in lower case and also tried a different file but still wouldn't publish

Eric

0 Kudos
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Eric,

Are you using AGO or Portal/Enterprise to publish the survey?

0 Kudos
EricArmitage
New Contributor II

Hi

Its AGO.  Not sure about version number

0 Kudos
JaredTaylor
New Contributor III

I was having a similar issue today with the new survey123 and survey123 connect.  117 KB is somewhat of a large file size.  I used @Anonymous User 's suggestion and used an image editor (Snagit) to optimize the image size for an AGO thumbnail (200x133 pixels).  I also dropped down the dpi to make the file size smaller and load faster.  My jpg file for the thumbnail is now 12 KB.  I've attached the image settings and the image.  Also, don't use a png. It is over kill. png files are for print quality while jpg is used for webapps, screens, thumbnails.

JaredTaylor_0-1633744741736.png

JaredTaylor_1-1633744830345.png