Survey suddenly not opening from Collector

03-16-2019 06:52 PM
ChrisYoung2
Occasional Contributor

I have always used the following code to open a survey from a collector feature:

arcgis-survey123://?itemID=91806295bb024ff6a55cfebe6e029a41

In the past, this would open the survey on my device and I could fill in information. I  have not been in the field for a few months and recently made a few changes to a survey. I checked to make sure this was the same code, which it was. I get a message from my device saying the survey has not been downloaded to my device, even though I just downloaded it 5 minutes before.

I have deleted all my downloaded surveys, uninstalled the Survey 123 app and reinstalled it with the same result.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

0 Kudos
22 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Chris

Can you share a little more information on this issue:

- Device and platform?

- The version of Survey123?

- Does this happen on all surveys or just this specific one?

- Could create a copy of the survey and republish/retest - does that same thing happen?

- Are you the survey author and are logging in to the device using the same user?

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
ChrisYoung2
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jon,

-The device is Samsung Galaxy Note 4 with an OS 6.0.1, Survey 123 app is 3.3.64, Collector is version 18.0.3

-Survey 123 Connect is version 3.3.51

-This seems to be happening with all surveys. I tried it with the one I just edited and one that is older created last summer.

-I have not copied and republished to test it yet. I will try later today and report back.

-I am the survey author and logging into the device as the same user. Although, there is an odd message when I have opened this survey in a computer browser which tells me I’m not the author and can’t make entries to the form.

Thank you.

Chris

An Accredited land trust

Chris Young

Stewardship & GIS Coordinator

Columbia Land Conservancy

49 Main Street

Chatham, NY 12037

518.392.5252 ext. 221

chris.young@clctrust.org<mailto:chris.young@clctrust.org>

www.clctrust.org

Conserving rural landscapes.

Connecting people to the land.

0 Kudos
ChrisYoung2
Occasional Contributor

So creating a copy of the survey and republishing gets the same result. If I copy the Survey and the Choices sheets of the of the of the XLS file into a new survey and then publish it. It works fine. I feel like that should not be necessary, but it is a workaround.

An Accredited land trust

Chris Young

49 Main Street

Chatham, NY 12037

518.392.5252 ext. 221

www.clctrust.org

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Chris,

Sounds like there is a submission url on the settings sheet in the xlsx form, and it may be pointing to a wrong or old feature service? If you only copy the survey and choices sheet, when you republish it creates a new survey folder in your AGO account, and also creates a new feature service form item. If you copy the entire xlsx form to a new survey, it will use the settings on the settings tab, which may include a link to existing feature service.

Phil.

0 Kudos
ChrisYoung2
Occasional Contributor

Hi Phil,

I have attached the files and this is the code I used in Collector (arcgis-survey123://?itemID=8939a1a1a90843f498f67942385b9d52&field:Name=&field:Town=). Maybe you can figure out what is going on from that. I’m trying to get data collection apps ready for use by the beginning of April so I can train the field workers on any new procedures. I also have to design some new surveys for new staff.

Thanks.

Chris

An Accredited land trust

Chris Young

49 Main Street

Chatham, NY 12037

518.392.5252 ext. 221

www.clctrust.org

0 Kudos
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi Chris,

I’ve been able to use your XLSForm to publish my own version of your survey and open it from within Collector (once I’ve changed the itemID to match my published survey). It looks like the code you’re using in Collector is correct (ie the itemID matches that of the survey .iteminfo file you provided), but the URL parameters you’re trying to pass into the survey are incomplete.

You’re not providing a value or {field} to populate your Name and Town fields.

Try using:

arcgis-survey123://?itemID=8939a1a1a90843f498f67942385b9d52&field:Name={Name}&field:Town={Town}

Brett

0 Kudos
ChrisYoung2
Occasional Contributor

Hi Brett,

Thank you for confirming that. I have actually gotten it that far. The problem I am having is that Survey 123 is shutting down while I'm entering data. This is happening without fail within a minute of opening the survey from collector.

Chris

0 Kudos
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi Chris,

Ok, so you're successfully opening the Survey and pre-populating some fields from Collector but then it crashes after about a minute? Does this happen with all surveys, or just one in particular? Does a problematic survey crash when you open it directly in Survey123 (without using the link from Collector)? Are you able to send through any log files from the crash?

This crash after a minute is concerning and we're keen to reproduce the behaviour and troubleshoot further.

Brett

0 Kudos
ChrisYoung2
Occasional Contributor

It happens on older surveys as well and when I open it only through the Survey 123 app. There should be several reports already on file from my phone under the email address of young.christopherj.christopher@gmail.com. I just sent one more.

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

0 Kudos