Select to view content in your preferred language

Survey Published With Survey 123 Connect By Another User

Jump to solution
3 weeks ago
AKRRMapGuy
New Contributor III

Another user in my organization published a Survey using Survey123 connect. I would like to update the survey but I don't see it in my Survey123 Connect window when I am signed in. Is it possible to do download it and modify it? Where is it?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

"Another user in my organization published a Survey using Survey123 connect. I would like to update the survey..."

You can't do that unless you log into Connect with their account. Even if you have the XLSX, if you publish, it will be a separate form from theirs.

I would suggest using a single Service Account as the sole publisher of all S123 forms. If you want, it can be a shared account (but that is treading into internal IT security policy territory. Not all companies allow shared accounts, so check with IT).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ok then here is the way.  I posted this somewhere but cant find it.

Install Connect on new PC (do not open it yet).

Copy the form dirs from C:\Users\[username]\ArcGIS\My Survey Designs on the old users PC over to 

the same spot on your new PC.

In the new users AGOL create a folder with the exact same name as the old users folder.

Change owner all the content in the old users folder to your new user.  Making sure to move to the new folder you created.

Back on the new user PC for each form open the .itemInfo file in Notepad. 

Look for the two lines 

First find ownerFolder  and change this to the item id of the new use folder you created above

Second find owner and change that to the new user

Open up Connect and it should all find itself and be good to go.

Hope that all makes sense.  Sounds like a lot but we had to do it for hundreds of forms once and did get it to all work. This is not something you do a lot.  One owner one form.  As posted above if you can change all this to a headless account that can help.  BUT keeping a central sync dir of My Survey designs is tough. Connect lets you download copies but it makes crazy dir names and it used to be it did not bring down the media folder.  Not sure that was ever changed.  Good luck

View solution in original post

9 Replies
ShariF
by
New Contributor III

Hi. We ran into this in our organization. All Survey123 Connect surveys live on the user's C drive: 

C:\Users\UsernameGoesHere\ArcGIS\My Survey Designs

One option is to have the "owner" of the content be an account that everyone on your team has credentials to. The not-so-elegant-way is to have that other user log into their account on your machine, download it on  your machine, and have your IT department give access to that part of the C drive (yup, that's what I did at my last organization).

If I recall, Survey123 Connect is not set up to work on a network drive. Maybe that's changed??? Good luck. 

0 Kudos
AKRRMapGuy
New Contributor III

Well, that's like awful. It's weird. Survey123 Connect with an Enterprise Survey123 deployment appears to allow you to download them 😐 but AGOL doesn't. 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Even if you could download it you could not republish as the content has another owner.  You can only have one owner at a time.  A lot of this is a AGOL limitation.  You can full move the form to you but that is it.

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

"Another user in my organization published a Survey using Survey123 connect. I would like to update the survey..."

You can't do that unless you log into Connect with their account. Even if you have the XLSX, if you publish, it will be a separate form from theirs.

I would suggest using a single Service Account as the sole publisher of all S123 forms. If you want, it can be a shared account (but that is treading into internal IT security policy territory. Not all companies allow shared accounts, so check with IT).

0 Kudos
AKRRMapGuy
New Contributor III

Thank you for the responses. Unfortunately, the publish from a service account or keep the forms in a central location sailed a long time before I showed up. 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ok then here is the way.  I posted this somewhere but cant find it.

Install Connect on new PC (do not open it yet).

Copy the form dirs from C:\Users\[username]\ArcGIS\My Survey Designs on the old users PC over to 

the same spot on your new PC.

In the new users AGOL create a folder with the exact same name as the old users folder.

Change owner all the content in the old users folder to your new user.  Making sure to move to the new folder you created.

Back on the new user PC for each form open the .itemInfo file in Notepad. 

Look for the two lines 

First find ownerFolder  and change this to the item id of the new use folder you created above

Second find owner and change that to the new user

Open up Connect and it should all find itself and be good to go.

Hope that all makes sense.  Sounds like a lot but we had to do it for hundreds of forms once and did get it to all work. This is not something you do a lot.  One owner one form.  As posted above if you can change all this to a headless account that can help.  BUT keeping a central sync dir of My Survey designs is tough. Connect lets you download copies but it makes crazy dir names and it used to be it did not bring down the media folder.  Not sure that was ever changed.  Good luck

AKRRMapGuy
New Contributor III

Thank you. Unfortunately, the user who made these still works here and was given the keys to the castle by my predecessor, and we still have the surveys. Them giving control to me or the IT department will be the preventing factor. Just another reason I hate Survey123.

0 Kudos
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

I've found that if you change ownership of the form in ArcGIS Online it then shows up in Connect and you can download it. As Doug said it creates crazy names for the folders, though I found I am able to change those folder names in File Explorer to match what they were as a real title and Connect still knows what's what.

It does download the media folder now from what I recall in doing this a little while ago.

The fact these are all forced to stay on your C:/ drive is still insane.

AKRRMapGuy
New Contributor III

I will find a test subject. Thank you. I can't believe ESRI made a product that can't have its source material shared in a good way. You are quite right that everything living on somebody's C drive is insane. What is this? 2002?