survey Failed to export to GDB

06-06-2019 08:41 AM
WhitneyWeber
Occasional Contributor

I have a survey which contains polygon and line feature classes (collected via Collector) that are related to the main survey's points via relationship classes. Unfortunately, when I try to Export to gdb from survey123.arcgis.com, I get a Failed to export error. Does anyone know what causes this or how I can resolve the problem?

Tags (1)
22 Replies
WhitneyWeber
Occasional Contributor

Unable to export my survey to gdb via survey123.arcgis.com (see error above), I tried another way. Interestingly, I was able to successfully download the survey to gdb via the Python script referenced in this document. Has anyone had this problem before or know what causes it/how to avoid it?

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Whitney,

What happens when you attempt to export the data from the Item Details page within ArcGIS Online?

0 Kudos
WhitneyWeber
Occasional Contributor

Brandon,

I get the following error, regardless of what file title or folder I use, so the error is not correct:

An existing File Geodatabase item was found with the same title, 'gobbledygook'. Please choose a unique title and try again.

0 Kudos
EstellaSmith
New Contributor III

Whitney,

I'm getting the same error message when trying to export my points from Survey123 under the Data section.  Screen capture of the failure

Estella Smith
0 Kudos
WhitneyWeber
Occasional Contributor

Estella,

Following are two workarounds that have worked for me:

1. In arcgis.com, navigate to the Feature Layer (hosted) used by the survey.
  2. Within the details of the feature layer, choose Export Data, Export to FGDB.
    If, despite the Title you give the file, it refuses to export, do so with the python script as explained in this solution.
  3. Go to the Content tab and select the folder in which the FGDB was saved and the saved File Geodatabase should be listed.
  4. Select the saved File Geodatabase and in the details page, to Download the file.

I can't explain why it fails sometimes in Survey123 - I'm guessing it's a bug.

Whitney

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am also receiving this error, but only when selecting the File Geodatabase as an export format. I am however, able to go into the Feature Details, then into the REST page to produce a usable FGDB.

Then using the "Create Replica" at the bottom of the page allows me to pull the FGDB from the AGO website.

0 Kudos
WhitneyWeber
Occasional Contributor

Mike,

Following are two workarounds that have worked for me:

1. In arcgis.com, navigate to the Feature Layer (hosted) used by the survey.
  2. Within the details of the feature layer, choose Export Data, Export to FGDB.
    If, despite the Title you give the file, it refuses to export, do so with the python script as explained in this solution.
  3. Go to the Content tab and select the folder in which the FGDB was saved and the saved File Geodatabase should be listed.
  4. Select the saved File Geodatabase and in the details page, to Download the file.

I can't explain why it fails sometimes in Survey123 - I'm guessing it's a bug.

Whitney

0 Kudos
CoryBolen1
New Contributor III

Hi Mike - Is there a document of any sort or steps that you can share in regards to the workflow you descrived to produce a FGDB of a Survey123 hosted feature layer?

I tried Whitney's work around options with no luck.

Thanks,

Cory

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Cory,

Here is the best that I can do...

1. GO to the details page of the hosted feature service that you are interested in downloading data from.
  2. On this page to the right-hand side of the page will be "Details" section
  3. Directly under the word "Details" is a Source: Feature Service and you will notice that it is a hyperlink. Click on it.
  4. This will send you to the ArcGIS REST Services Directory.
  5. Here you will see a lot of useful information about your survey. You will see each of the layers and related table/features if your survey has them. 
  6. Pay attention to the numbers within the "()" at the end of each layer or tables name. as this will help within the next couple of steps.
  7. If you click on any of the names then you will brought to another page that contains the schema for each of them.
  8. Scroll to the bottom of this page and locate the "Create Replica" at the bottom of the page and click on it.
  9. This will lead you to a GUI that will allow you to request through the ArcGIS REST API to create and download an FGDB.
  10. Remember the numbers after the layers in "()" as you will need them in this instances. If there is one layer that you are after, then you can enter just the number of the layer. However, if you are attempting to download the entire Hosted Feature service then you will need to enter all of the numbers. separated by a comma.
  11. If you would adjust this dialog to look like the screen shot and click on "Create Replica", then the GUI will make a request using the REST API to create a replica with the layer(s) and any associated attachments.
  12. The page will refresh and you will see a hyperlink at the bottom of the page. Click on that link and it will take you to another page that you will be able to download the zipped FGDB from.
  13. I use FireFox as y web browser and in order to see if the FGDB is ready for download I have to manually refresh the web browser by clicking on the refresh button. However if you use a different browser, then you might be able to click on the refresh 
  14. Once the FGDB is ready for download, then there will be a link that you can click on and it will start the download.

Cheers!

Mike

0 Kudos