Survey 123 - spinner: (x) "clear" button is close to (+) add button

12-21-2023 11:52 AM
YukoOliver
New Contributor III

Hello,

I have a survey that collects the number of fish using the spinner, but the users have concerns that how close the (+) button is to the (x) clear field button on the size class group, there is a possibility that a recorder might accidentally clear a field. Since we want to avoid deleting data at all costs, is there a way to remove the (x) button all together? Or option to give a message before clearing the entry? Or at least lock it so it does not clear the field?

clear_button_plus_sign.JPG

The (x) is always at the end of the field, so it is always close to the (+) button.

7 Replies
BrittanyBurson
Occasional Contributor III

Good feedback.

0 Kudos
RyanBohan
Occasional Contributor III

Great idea, would be great if it only be controlled by the plus and minus buttons, and the number is for display only

0 Kudos
DouglasKnabe
New Contributor III

Basically exact question I have, so here's a link to mine (and will post link to yours on mine) to provide cross-reference in case a solution pops up on one or the other.

0 Kudos
YukoOliver
New Contributor III

Thank you, can you place the link to yours again?

0 Kudos
YukoOliver
New Contributor III

@DouglasKanabe,

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/disable-quot-clear-field-quot-button/m-p/13...

I saw your post!  Hopefully, we'll get a solution soon!!!

abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

You could skip the spinner and go with an  integer field with the numbers appearance. But that has its own issues… and still an “x”

Is this a “haven’t tried it but looked at it in a presentation and decided it was an issue” thing? I find a decent number of vocal users react that way for various reasons during demos.  But upon actual serious use, they don’t have those same issues.

The + button is quite large, so it shouldn’t be a massive short term issue. But I would also appreciate a “read only” spinner. Did you create a post in the Ideas section yet? Votes there are more likely to get Esri’s attention to make it a new feature. 

0 Kudos
DouglasKnabe
New Contributor III

Numbers appearance for me is not a viable option in this instance. User will be entering somewhat rapid-fire counts for changing categories (i.e., 2 of A, 5 of B, 1 more of A), and doing the math to use the Numbers appearance in the field is asking for errors and seriously compromises data integrity.

I'm developing this tool, and as the designer of our previous tool, I expect the X to be a potential issue and would like to address it now rather than AFTER we lose data and consequently, an entire day of work for 3-4 people.

0 Kudos