Survey 123 Report Template Error: Failed to parse/does not exist or cannot be found in current parsing scope.

03-01-2019 03:47 PM
ChrisShuck
New Contributor III

I am trying to upload a report template to Survey123 however I keep getting the error  Failed to parse "${MT_Amount1} Field "${MT_Amount1}" does not exist or cannot be found in current parsing scope. 

I have checked the XLS spreadsheet in Connect to make sure that the tag matched exactly, and to my knowledge the opening and closing tags for the repeat is placed correctly as well

Is there an update that could be causing this? It was working fine a few weeks ago with the same tags and the same survey. 

0 Kudos
47 Replies
ChrisShuck
New Contributor III

This error has appeared on 5 or 6 of my company's surveys. All of these began just after the 3.3 release on 2/26. In each survey, there is a random field that receives this error. Prior to the appearance of these errors, reports for all of these surveys had been generating without issue. No changes were made by us. The only common factor that I can see for the fields mentioned in the error messages is that they are fields within repeats. I published a copy of one of these surveys, but the problem persisted. I also tried removing the tag that was prompting the error. After that, I received the error message for the next field within that repeat. It did not give an error for the very first field in the repeat. 

0 Kudos
ChrisShuck
New Contributor III

UPDATE:  The problem has been solved. If the repeat name is MT, the field name cannot start with MT as in MT_Amount1. When all field names that started in that manner were edited, with those letters being removed, I was able to successfully generate reports. I'm sure this is related to the 3.3 update. Can anyone explain why it might be incorrect to start a field name with the same letters as the repeat name?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chris,

This was a bug discovered late in release testing, related to an enhancement introduced to specify a field by using <tablename>.<fieldname> (this was introduced to enable referencing a field in the parent table inside a repeat section).  We will be addressing this issue in the near future.

ChrisShuck
New Contributor III

Thanks for your response. Do you have an estimated time frame? I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and fix our surveys now, which will be quite time consuming, or wait on ESRI's fix. We rely heavily on those surveys and need them up and running as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Chris,

The fix for this issue should be applied to the website by the end of next week (hopefully around 14/15th March) but due to testing and release certification could vary slightly. We will keep you updated once available. If you can wait I would suggest that is the best option, as other changes you make as a workaround may require changes to question names/fields or repeat names, which will change the schema of your survey and could result in data loss.

Phil.

ChrisShuck
New Contributor III

Hi Phillip,

Thanks for providing the timeline.

-Chris

0 Kudos
ZachPearo
New Contributor II

Hi, I am having the same issue.  Is there a new time frame with regards to this fix?  

Thank you,

Zach

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Zach,

This issue has already been resolved on the website and verified as fixed. If you are still encountering an issues the cause could be different. Can you please provide more details of the issue or a copy of your xlsx form and custom report to be able to reproduce?

Phil.

0 Kudos
ZachPearo
New Contributor II

Hi Phil,

Thank you for reaching out. I’ve attached a copy of my Survey Form as well as my Word Template. Could the issue be that I want to autopopulate the header?

Thank you,

Zach

0 Kudos