Survey 123 complex calculation does not work

09-12-2018 09:33 PM
LeeStamm1
New Contributor

HI,

I have a strange phenomenon occuring

I have a calculation that used to work, is not being populated anymore.

I have a decimal field with a calculation. The following works:

${TOTAL_TRANSECT_LENGTH}*${DUB_CM_FOURTH}

The calculation is being performed using fields inside a repeat. the calculated field is outside that repeat.

when i substitute the above eqn for this:

pow(pi(),2)*sqrt(sum(${DUB_CM_FOURTH}))div(8*(sum(${TOTAL_TRANSECT_LENGTH})))*1.64

it does not work.

These eqns were working before.

i have attached the xlsform used to generate the survey.

cheers 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Lee,

There are a few issues to address on the form; it looks like you made a few changes that change the behavior

- you have four trisect length fields - where these previously a repeat?  The formula you have is using sum() over a question that's not in a repeat - it's not going to return the value properly.  removing the sum() will allow the calculation to work

- the calculate questions in the repeat that return numbers (DUB, DUB_CM_SQUARED, DUB_CM_FOURTH) should have the bind::type field set to decimal to ensure that calculations are performed correctly.

- at the beginning of the form, there are 2 hidden questions that appear to have been single choice questions previously.  Note that hidden questions default to string - you may want to change this to calculate questions with bind::type of decimal as well

0 Kudos
LeeStamm1
New Contributor

Hi James,

Thanks for your assistance.

re:

"- you have four trisect length fields - where these previously a repeat?  The formula you have is using sum() over a question that's not in a repeat - it's not going to return the value properly.  removing the sum() will allow the calculation to work"

I removed the sum and it worked. Thanks.

It was Sum from a previous version of this survey using repeats- my mistake. 

re:

"the calculate questions in the repeat that return numbers (DUB, DUB_CM_SQUARED, DUB_CM_FOURTH) should have the bind::type field set to decimal to ensure that calculations are performed correctly."

Thanks, I changed this at the same time and the calcs work.

re:

"- at the beginning of the form, there are 2 hidden questions that appear to have been single choice questions previously.  Note that hidden questions default to string - you may want to change this to calculate questions with bind::type of decimal as well"

Also done. thanks.

PS. meant to say that I'm a bargain basement beginner at this. ive only spent a day or two doing this and so far, pretty good.

0 Kudos