Support for Apple Pencil Scribble handwriting recognition?

Jump to solution
12-02-2020 08:57 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Does Survey123 support the use of Apple's Scribble handwriting recognition in text boxes? It works great in popups in the current Field Maps Beta and Collector 20.2.4, but when I try to use an Apple Pencil w/ an iPad 8th gen on Survey123 v. 3.11.164 it doesn't trigger text recognition when I tap in a text box.  

I've tried both single- and mulit-line text boxes with the same result (or lack thereof).  

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @KatieRandall,

Unfortunately there are no updates at this stage, and the scribble feature on iOS is not supported. There are underlying dependancies in the Qt framework which need to be supported first, so the scribble feature can be used in Survey123. For more information see: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-90932

However the Apple Pencil will still work with Survey123 for touch input, scroll inputs, or text selections, just not for scribble handwriting inside a text field.

The original poster never logged an issue with Esri Support, so if you could, raise an issue with Esri Support so we can officially log this and have it attached to your account and you will be able to get updates based on the case number provided to you.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Justin,

We are looking into this issue and will get back to you shortly. In the meantime could you raise an issue with Esri Support so we can officially log this and have it attached to your account and you will be able to get updates based on the case number provided to you.

Regards,

Phil.

KatieRandall
New Contributor

Was this ever resolved? I just purchased a new ipad to use in the field with an apple pencil and am experiencing the same issue.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @KatieRandall,

Unfortunately there are no updates at this stage, and the scribble feature on iOS is not supported. There are underlying dependancies in the Qt framework which need to be supported first, so the scribble feature can be used in Survey123. For more information see: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-90932

However the Apple Pencil will still work with Survey123 for touch input, scroll inputs, or text selections, just not for scribble handwriting inside a text field.

The original poster never logged an issue with Esri Support, so if you could, raise an issue with Esri Support so we can officially log this and have it attached to your account and you will be able to get updates based on the case number provided to you.

Regards,

Phil.

KatieRandall
New Contributor
Thank you! I did that yesterday as well.
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for doing that!  Our organization only allows a few specific people to log issues w/ support, and I'm not one of them (and this issue isn't considered worth logging).

RoseF
by
Occasional Contributor

It looks like the latest version of Field Maps allows for this. I'm not an expert but I just saw a demo and someone "wrote" the numbers 5 and 0 and 0 in a field and the iPad took it and converted it to numbers (500).

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @RoseF,

Yes, whilst Field Maps and other Esri field apps may currently support the Apple Pencil and scribble handwriting, unfortunately Survey123 and QuickCapture are developed using a slightly different platform and there is an underlying Qt Framework limitation that currently means the Apple Pencil and scribble handwriting will not work as expected with Survey123 and QuickCapture. Once this limitation is resolved we will ensure the Apple Pencil works as expected in Survey123.

Regards,

Phil.

FayGlunt
New Contributor III

Can we have an update of when you think this functionality will be added to Survey123?  Thanks.

DWR-MelindaBennion
New Contributor

I am adding to this thread in hopes of adding additional support for adding the apple pen scribble function to Survey123. It's frustrating that it works in Field Maps but not in Survey123! Is there any update on this issue?

Thanks!

0 Kudos