Summary Report Template Map not honoring drawingInfo parameter

Jump to solution
08-08-2022 12:50 PM
erica_poisson
Occasional Contributor III

Hi - 

I am creating a summary report template and need to include a map - something I have never done in a summary report before. Following the instructions and syntax on the Report Templates help page, I am attempting to use the drawingInfo parameter to point to a specific hosted feature layer to grab that customized symbology. 

The syntax for my map looks like this, and I believe it is properly configured:

${WsPA_Filings_polygon| drawingInfo:"https://services1.arcgis.com/xxxx/survey123_8ea2fc9950714bc09848a29aa60103ce_stakeholder/FeatureServer/0" | mapSettings:"03b7506a51e44e169ae1c3933b45bffc" | size:500:500}

The problem is that when the report generates the map does not use the symbology saved to the specified feature layer. Instead, the map uses the default symbology which the original hosted feature layer was published with from ArcGIS Pro. 

I am trying to have the drawingInfo parameter point to the "stakeholder" View which has been customized with the symbology I'd like to see in my summary report. 

Any suggestions on why this is not working would be appreciated. 

UPDATE - I believe that the issue is this... the View's REST Endpoint is still honoring the default symbology with which the original hosted feature layer was published. I had gone through the View layer's 'Visualization' settings and updated the symbology and saved the View, however this does not seem to have "trickled down" to the symbology saved at the REST Endpoint of the View. Since the URL for drawingInfo is the REST Endpoint, I believe that this is why I am having this problem. Is this expected behavior, or am I missing something? 

Thank you,

Erica
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erica_poisson

After doing some more research, it seems that with some of the more recent releases of AGOL (starting in December 2021), symbology changes made to a layer via the Visualization tab are not saved to the REST Endpoint of a layer (all hosted feature layers, not just Views). You can manually "override" symbology via the REST Endpoint Admin page using the Update Layer Definition tool. This is not ideal as depending on where a layer is accessed/added from, a user will see two different symbologies. 

1.  If a layer is added to a Web Map or Pro via "Add Data" and browsed to, the symbology (and other configurations such as pop-up, labels, etc.) saved via the Visualization tab will be seen. 
  2. If a layer is added to a Web Map or Pro via the REST service URL, the symbology will be whatever the layer was published to AGOL with. 

I opened a technical support case and requested an enhancement. 

• Enhancement number: ENH-000151486
  • Synopsis: Add functionality in ArcGIS Online to automatically update the REST end of the feature service with the updated symbology change made after the data is published.

@IsmaelChivite @JamesTedrick and the Survey123 team - this seems like a limitation that also affects the drawingInfo parameter within feature reports. 

Erica

View solution in original post

1 Reply
erica_poisson

After doing some more research, it seems that with some of the more recent releases of AGOL (starting in December 2021), symbology changes made to a layer via the Visualization tab are not saved to the REST Endpoint of a layer (all hosted feature layers, not just Views). You can manually "override" symbology via the REST Endpoint Admin page using the Update Layer Definition tool. This is not ideal as depending on where a layer is accessed/added from, a user will see two different symbologies. 

1.  If a layer is added to a Web Map or Pro via "Add Data" and browsed to, the symbology (and other configurations such as pop-up, labels, etc.) saved via the Visualization tab will be seen. 
  2. If a layer is added to a Web Map or Pro via the REST service URL, the symbology will be whatever the layer was published to AGOL with. 

I opened a technical support case and requested an enhancement. 

• Enhancement number: ENH-000151486
  • Synopsis: Add functionality in ArcGIS Online to automatically update the REST end of the feature service with the updated symbology change made after the data is published.

@IsmaelChivite @JamesTedrick and the Survey123 team - this seems like a limitation that also affects the drawingInfo parameter within feature reports. 

Erica