“String or binary data would be truncated. The statement has been terminated.”

Jump to solution
09-01-2021 11:25 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I created a Survey123 for a partner organization collecting data for us. They have collected the data but have the following error when trying to sync: 

“String or binary data would be truncated. The statement has been terminated.”

In my experience, this is because a an answer exceeds the character field length limit. Is the the only reason for this error? I don't have their tablets so I can't see what question is causing the issue. I looked at the XLS form, but don't seem to to catch the issue. 

Wondering if there is another problem causing the error. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @Anonymous User, 

In testing on my end one field that seems to be causing the error is the Project Name field. For the bind::esri:fieldLength it is set to 30 but the value that was submitted in my test survey is "MedBow Springs/ WYNDD Survey 2021" which is 33 characters. 

Thank you, 

Zach

Thank you,
Zach

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @Anonymous User, 

In testing on my end one field that seems to be causing the error is the Project Name field. For the bind::esri:fieldLength it is set to 30 but the value that was submitted in my test survey is "MedBow Springs/ WYNDD Survey 2021" which is 33 characters. 

Thank you, 

Zach

Thank you,
Zach
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Great! That worked and they were able to sync the surveys. Thank you. 

DeonLengton
Esri Contributor

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you still struggle then you could have the user enable diagnostics on the tablet and have them send you the log file - it should cast more light on the erroneous field causing the sync issue.

Regards

Deon

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I did not know you could use this tool. I will keep it in mind for the future.