String or binary data would be truncated Send Error

Jump to solution
11-09-2022 05:19 AM
maoneill9
New Contributor II

I am getting an error when trying to submit a survey via Survey123. The error reads "String or binary data would be truncated". I have tried to change the "bind::esifieldLength" of some fields with no success. I also did not build this survey which is making it hard to troubleshoot and the person who built it no longer works here. 

The survey excel sheet is attached and any input would be greatly appreciated! 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is this built off an existing service?  If not and you have no data you can let it overwrite the service.  If it is then changing it can tough but you can try it in the service.

Basically you are trying to put too much text in one of the notes fields.  Either make the field bigger or do not put so much text in.  You could use string-length to limit it in a constraint.  If you have a form that is already there and will not submit have the user reduce any text fields to 255.

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You increased the field size on each begin repeat line.  Repeats are not fields so that does not do anything.  Repeats are the tables.  You need to change the field length on the text field that is causing the issue.  My guess would be one of the Notes lines.  The error that pops up or the log file should tell you the exact field that has the issue.  You can also look at the form and you will probably see which field has more than the 255 default char length.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
maoneill9
New Contributor II

When I receive the error it does not specify which field is responsible, nor does the log show anything about the send error. I have tried to change the lengths of all the text fields, but when I attempt to publish the survey I receive an error saying " Existing feature service is not compatible with the survey. Field swale_notes in swale_group length is too short 255).

Thanks for the tips. I am fairly new to Survey123 so I appreciate the help.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is this built off an existing service?  If not and you have no data you can let it overwrite the service.  If it is then changing it can tough but you can try it in the service.

Basically you are trying to put too much text in one of the notes fields.  Either make the field bigger or do not put so much text in.  You could use string-length to limit it in a constraint.  If you have a form that is already there and will not submit have the user reduce any text fields to 255.

Hope that helps

maoneill9
New Contributor II

Thanks for the help! It was actually a problem with my select_multiple fields and I was able to solve it by setting the field length to 1000 and republishing the service.