Setting a Select_one So User CANNOT Edit

05-15-2023 08:44 PM
RichardPasquale
New Contributor III

Not for a lack of searching, think I'm not getting results because I don't know the nomenclature.

I'm hoping to constrain the responses to a question, to ONLY the Select_One values.... Issue I'm getting is that after the user selects one, they can still add/edit the value populated.

Is there a parameter column and code I can use to lock the response to ONLY the select_one values available?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

A select one question by default will only allow users to select the answers available in the choices sheet.

If you want them to have less selections available, you can apply a choice filter (e.g. if one question selects a country, the next question uses a choice filter to reduce the list to cities in that country).

If you want them not to be able to edit the question, you can make it read only. 

If you want them to be able to edit the question, but also not edit the question after they've selected the answer... we'll probably need more information about what you are doing e.g.:

• Survey123 Connect (desktop) or the web form designer
  • Workflow 
  • Sample questions and expected progression through the form

You can have some questions read only and calculated based on information entered into other questions. You can also hide these questions.

0 Kudos
RichardPasquale
New Contributor III

@ChristopherCounsell The example @DougBrowning is giving is literally the exact situation.

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I see that too.  Do not rememeber that being possible before?  It used to highlight that in red and then not take it I think.  Not sure now.  Have you tested what actually is sent to the service though?  It may not actually keep that edit.  That is what I am seeing on a test.

dropdownedit.gif

0 Kudos
RichardPasquale
New Contributor III

@DougBrowning I was just think this morning about how I need to learn how to do this giphy screenshot thing you got going on here.  Can you point me in the direction if the app that does this?

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is called ScreenToGIF and I love it!  Cannot belive it took me so long to find it.

On the issue test it and it does not save that edit it saves the drop down value.  But it is for sure confusing.

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

To disable the 'editing' capability, avoid using the autocomplete appearance from your select_one question.  In truth, the choices in the list cannot be edited, however the autocomplete function gives an illusion that you are editing the choice label, when in reality you are simply entering text to filter the options displayed.

abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

I will direct you here. Slightly different problems, but also similar.

Select_One with Autocomplete appearance. While S123 does stop the survey from sending if you type random items in, when you launch via "Copy sent data to a new survey", sometimes the "label" converts into a "name", and the survey sends successfully.

Edit: A backend update has fixed the issue I was seeing. 

0 Kudos